New car-new seats! Please help me choose a RF convertible car seats for a 2016 Dodge Caravan!

swtcharity

Hi! This is my first post, so hopefully I'm doing this right!

I just purchased a 2016 Dodge Caravan, and I am looking to move my 10-1/2 month old twins from their infant seats into convertible seats.

I would like for them to rear face for an extended period of time.

We'll be using the 2nd row captain chairs for their seats (I think there are issues with the 3rd row for car seats?) and they'll be designated for them (no plans on ever moving the seats back to the 3rd row once they're in).

Last measure (at 9 month appt) they were 27-1/2" and 19 & 20 pounds.

I don't really have a max budget, but would probably like to keep each seat under 400 (although I have wiggle room if something above that range is super amazing and can't be passed up).
I'd like something extra comfy because this will be our travel vehicle (and my girl twin HATES her infant seat so much so I'd like one she'll be happy in for a long, long, long time).

TIA for any help or perspectives!

ADS

Cnidaria

Welcome! The good news is that there are many, many great convertible seats within that budget. Ones that will last the longest RF, for <$400, in no particular order, are the following:

1. Graco Size4Me, Fit4Me, MySize, Headwise or Contender. All more or less the same seat with slightly different features at different retailers. The Contender is somewhat stripped-down.

2. Graco Milestone. Also turns into a high back booster.

3. Graco 4Ever. Also turns into a high back booster and a backless booster.

3. Chicco NextFit

4. Britax Boulevard ClickTight (not available for a few more weeks due to a recall)

5. Britax Boulevard or Advocate G4.1

6. Safety 1st Advance EX 65 Air+ (Babies R Us only. The longest-lasting RF seat of all of them, but a big seat)

7. Clek Fllo

8. Diono Radian, Olympia, Pacifica and Rainier

There are brief descriptions here: http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogcoms-recommended-car-seats/

Any catch your eye? I highly recommend going to a store and test-installing seats in your car and trying your kids in them. You'll find things you like and don't like about them.

swtcharity

We've tried my daughter in a few in the store, and she seems to like the NextFit and Boulevard a lot. I was bummed she wasn't happy in the Dionos we tried since I've heard such good things about them. (My son is much less picky, so we haven't really tried him in many.)

My husband was actually planning on getting the Boulevard ClickTight for his car, right before the recall! (Of course!)

Is the ClickTight worth the wait and the additional cost? The reason I ask is that our local Safe Kids organization is having a car seat check fair next Saturday so ideally we'd love to have all of the seats we'll be using and get checked at the fair, but I don't think the ClickTights are shipping until the 21st from what I've heard?

Thanks for your input! I'll definitely take a look at a few others on the list to see how they work!

cookie123

The click tights are well liked for their ease of installation. The crotch straps are quite short and leg room is less than some seats.

I like the seats to be up a bit so kids car see out the window so that's a factor for me. I am using the Peg Perego convertible seat and it's super nice but my 2.5 year old grandson is getting close to outgrowing it height wise. I highly recommend it if your kids aren't extremely tall. I'm considering replacing it with either the Graco 4Ever or the Clek Fllo so he can rear face longer. Both offer good leg room, more room to grow height wise and are off the seat enough so he can see out.

swtcharity

Thanks for the input Cookie! I didn't consider if they can see out the window, but that may make them a little happier in their seats!

I think my husband has decided to hold out for the ClickTight for his car, and I'm leaning towards the NextFit for mine since our local Babies R Us doesn't have the ClickTights in store and I want to use the trade-in event for mine because 4 seats are pricey! Ouch. Lol

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC