Would a Graco Connext work on a narrow-ish and very bucketed seat?

_juune

What the title says. Would a Graco Connext work on a narrow-ish and very bucketed seat? I'm assuming that the USA Connext is the same as the one we are getting in Europe. It has appeared in online stores but nobody seems carry it locally at least for now, so can't try it. With bucketed I mean outboard backseat shaped like this [Volvo S60], it's really weird shape, any booster that is narrow enough "sinks" into deepest place of the seat and in many cases makes buckling up very difficult; anything wider than the depression on the other hand I can't imagine being stable, but maybe the anchors would help?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I suspect it would be a great choice for a bucket seat (though in my memory, the kids were in way more buckety seats in these pictures!)
http://carseatblog.com/21470/graco-connext-booster-review-two-thumbs-up/
http://carseatblog.com/24482/ellies-safety-1st-incognito-kid-positioner-review/

It's discontinued here, I'm bummed about that because it was nice to have a third option for light/narrow boosters, when the Harmony Youth and Cosco Top Side didn't work, plus it LATCHed for only a couple bucks more than those.

_juune

I suspect it would be a great choice for a bucket seat (though in my memory, the kids were in way more buckety seats in these pictures!)
http://carseatblog.com/21470/graco-connext-booster-review-two-thumbs-up/
http://carseatblog.com/24482/ellies-safety-1st-incognito-kid-positioner-review/

It's discontinued here, I'm bummed about that because it was nice to have a third option for light/narrow boosters, when the Harmony Youth and Cosco Top Side didn't work, plus it LATCHed for only a couple bucks more than those.

Thank you for the reply. Yeah, I, too wonder why did they discontinue it in the USA.
I can't decide whether to order it or not. It's about Eur 50 where I am :rolleyes: Then again Volvo's own backless is Eur 125 :banginghead:

_juune

Can't wait to find out!

So I got it and yay! It works! :) When I first took it out of the box I thought no way this huge thing is going to work, but it's pretty much the right shape for the spot [bonus -- it's stable in the raised center seat, too]! And DD can buckle by herself, with a little effort though. Which is ok, because it's not meant to be her main seat for a year or two [every once in a while we need to transport another person besides me, DH, DD and DS, and with DD in a HBB it's just not possible]. DD does like the Connext a lot :D
The Connext seems roomier/wider than other boosters we have, which is good, because it does need to work up to until DD is 150cm.

Connext:
picture.php

v.s. another one we have [sits weird and armrest nearly covers the buckle]:
picture.php

I think the the adjuster strap makes the shoulder belt fit worse [more out on the shoulder], or is it just adjusted wrong? When DD buckles by herself, the strap kinda gets stuck too much to her side between her back and the backrest, which is why the diagonal belt stays further out. Any idea if it's safer with the strap but with the belt further from the neck or without the strap and the belt closer to the neck [not rubs-your-neck close]?
DD in the seat with and without the strap:
picture.php
picture.php

[Disclaimer: her jacket is not padded!]

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Nice! Looks like it was made for the car, doesn't it?
I'd rather not use the adjuster and have it closer to the neck (and from what you describe, it's not rubbing her neck badly or right across her windpipe). When near the outer edge of the shoulder, there's more risk of 'rollout', plus it's awfully easy for kids to lean a couple cm and you find it's totally off the shoulder, so if you start out closer to the neck, it's a little more forgiving of a little movement.
Looks like loads of growing room, too! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC