Question Babies R Us trade in?

tjham

Is it just for car seats now? Didn't you used to be able to buy other baby equipment with the discount?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
And no one's reading the fine print... people are showing up with cribs and strollers and all the usual stuff. Some people aren't even reading the huge print, they thought it was 'bring one in, get one free'. My supervisor was like, WHAT ON EARTH GAVE YOU THAT IDEA?!?!?!!? :eek:
(HUGE 25% coupon signs all over the store and flyers, so... yeah)

Brigala

CPST Instructor
Some people aren't even reading the huge print, they thought it was 'bring one in, get one free'. My supervisor was like, WHAT ON EARTH GAVE YOU THAT IDEA?!?!?!!? :eek: (HUGE 25% coupon signs all over the store and flyers, so... yeah)

And we get surprised when people don't read their car seat manuals...

meljc

Julie, is there anything stopping someone from buying a cheapo booster from Walmart and trading it in for 25% off of a high end convertible?

walletless

Julie, is there anything stopping someone from buying a cheapo booster from Walmart and trading it in for 25% off of a high end convertible?

No. Or just find a free one on local Craigslist. That's what I did. The guy giving it away for free had an expired seat that he wanted to discard so he was happy that I'll not be using his car seat to place my kid in it anyway & that bru will take care of discarding it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dillipop

Seems a bit of a waste, considering even without a trade, you get 15% off anyway. So on a $300 seat, you'd pay $225 with 25% off or $255 with 15%. While you save $15 after buying a new booster to trade in, that booster is going straight into the landfill. And you'd still probably be able to get it cheaper on Amazon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Seems a bit of a waste, considering even without a trade, you get 15% off anyway. So on a $300 seat, you'd pay $225 with 25% off or $255 with 15%. While you save $15 after buying a new booster to trade in, that booster is going straight into the landfill. And you'd still probably be able to get it cheaper on Amazon... Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was trying to figure out how to word it, but this was my thought process too. Financially it might still work out in the buyer's favor, but it would feel super wasteful.

I am sure that many people think about this, though...I wish there was a way to donate the seats if they are brand new -- like a toys for tots drive....but with boosters. ;-)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, in reality, we don't care what you bring in, new, old, whatever.
It's funny when people seem all ashamed that they admit to buying things at garage sales or used baby stores just to get the coupon, I'm like, whatever, as long as you didn't pay MORE than you would have saved, I won't tease you ;)
On the flip side, I see used-for-six-months travel systems traded in for a single coupon which they use to buy a (59$ before the coupon) Tribute. I'm like, really? you couldn't find ANY way to make more money off that Chicco? At least keep the stroller?
If it were meeeeee....I might buy stuff I need anyway at Target where you get the gift cards for buying 2 or three of the same things, and then their cheapest booster is the same as Walmart, use the gift card to help pay for the seat...

meljc

Seems a bit of a waste, considering even without a trade, you get 15% off anyway. So on a $300 seat, you'd pay $225 with 25% off or $255 with 15%. While you save $15 after buying a new booster to trade in, that booster is going straight into the landfill. And you'd still probably be able to get it cheaper on Amazon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wasn't planning to do it, more of a hypothetical question :p

meljc

Yeah, in reality, we don't care what you bring in, new, old, whatever.
It's funny when people seem all ashamed that they admit to buying things at garage sales or used baby stores just to get the coupon, I'm like, whatever, as long as you didn't pay MORE than you would have saved, I won't tease you ;)
On the flip side, I see used-for-six-months travel systems traded in for a single coupon which they use to buy a (59$ before the coupon) Tribute. I'm like, really? you couldn't find ANY way to make more money off that Chicco? At least keep the stroller?
If it were meeeeee....I might buy stuff I need anyway at Target where you get the gift cards for buying 2 or three of the same things, and then their cheapest booster is the same as Walmart, use the gift card to help pay for the seat...

For realz??????????

CMeMeC

For realz??????????

My sister in law used her chicco travel system she had to have (my parents paid for) for less than a year and then sold it super cheap to buy a "jeep" stroller because it said "jeep. " She sold it for less than the price of the cheap stroller! Her kid's feet touched the back seat so both the car seat AND stroller were outgrown.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I know, right? :eek: I guess if you didn't pay for it, you don't care how much it cost?
I do have to tell people that the older and grosser stuff they can bring, the better, it's not like that pristine travel system is going to be given away to a needy family :eek: (it WOULD be kind of cool, but in practice, we take in zillions of items and could never ensure they were all clean, unrecalled, uncrashed, and totally safe from potential lawsuits...)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC