Booster seat situation in Europe (car rental)

U

Unregistered

We have older (small) kids in boosters. Planning a trip to Europe, and they will be 11, 9 & 6. The 6 year old is still in a carseat at home because he fits. If we were to rent a car, would they supply boosters? I know there are safety issues with renting carseats in the US, but do the same concerns apply there? I really don't want to take boosters with us because we won't be using a car that much of the time we're there. I know the 11 year old and possible the 9 year old can do without but the 6 year old will still be small. Thanks for any suggestions.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I believe that most countries don't require boosters be available for rental. If they are they might be expired or mistreated.

I would just bring cheap, lightweight backless boosters with you.

joyride

know the 11 year old and possible the 9 year old can do without but the 6 year old will still be small. Thanks for any suggestions.
Depends on the country. In Germany, your 11 year old must use a booster if he is under 60inch. I would bring them with me. There are expensive at the rentsl an mainlx crap.

Adventuredad

I would bring low back boosters. If possible use the ones with an extra strap so height of seat belt can be adjusted. Your oldest kids, 11 and 9, are likely safer in low back boosters compared to high back boosters.

This has to do with the unfortunate development towards heavier, more expensive and larger seats with huge head support. A good general recommendation is RF to age 4, then a high back booster age 4-6 and then a low back booster.

If you prefer to purchase high back boosters there is a really good option in Britax Adventure. Also called Britax Hiliner in some places. This seat is light weight at 7 lbs and very comfortable. It's easy to carry along and it has been my travel seats trips all over the world with my two kids. It's also one of the cheapest seats available.

A good option would be to bring low back booster seats and if desired order a Britax Adventure ahead of time. If you are doing lots of long drives your youngest one will then have a little extra support while sleeping.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC