Chevrolets and center head restraints

cookie123

We went to the fair today and looked at some vehicles while there. I happened to notice the Chevys had no rear center head restraints. This was in the Equinox and a sedan that I don't know the name of. There was also a Traverse which had second row captain's chair but the 3rd row had no restraints either. There was kind of a bump there that would probably prevent a good install for a booster seat. And actually I don't know if that was present in the center position or not. The Equinox had a weird floppy buckle set up for the rear center and passenger side that were kind of together. I think it was the Equinox that had amazing rear leg room.

Interesting though. I mentioned it to the girl who was their representative and she was like 'Oh, I've never seen center head restraints." Really?

ADS

katymyers

I'm not sure I can think of ANY Chevy model that has center headrests. They're kinda bad about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, how do they escape the government standard with that?
Ooooh... FMVSS 202 seems to not even be in force? And it only requires outboard seats? http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/HeadRest/PEA/Index.html
Makers who care about the strict IIHS standards try harder, I guess... http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/ratings-info/rear-head-restraints-test
Maybe Chevy figures no adult will ever actually sit in the middle and the back is high enough for most kids....?
I find it annoying they don't seem to care, though, is it THAT hard or expensive to put a headrest there????

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Probably because for every 1 person who complains about a whiplash-related safety issue, there are 10 that complain about a rear view safety issue. That and a few bucks which ads up for hundreds of thousands of vehicles...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Probably because for every 1 person who complains about a whiplash-related safety issue, there are 10 that complain about a rear view safety issue. That and a few bucks which ads up for hundreds of thousands of vehicles...

Yeah, true, not all cars have awesome head restraints that disappear when not in use. Maybe if vehicle manufacturers had to pay for all the injuries sustained in their cars....? Nah, whiplash is a super low cost injury, probably less than putting in good head restraints.

cookie123

The middle head restraint in my Prius is practically useless. And actually the outboard ones don't go up far either before falling out. Hannah usually sits in the middle and she will be too tall soon. We will have to rethink the situation. Actually all 3 kids haven't been in my car since spring, so it's not often. And she'll be 13 in Oct.:eek: She can maybe sit up front and I'll be able to take all 4 kids.:)

I'd like a bigger vehicle but DH is against it. He feels it's unnecessary for the few times it's an issue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC