4 year old keeps loosening her harness

purplemama

Argh. My um, "willful" 4 year old keeps loosening her harness. She rides in a Britax RA50. I'm not having much luck with punishment or rewards, that kind of thing. She's a very difficult child.
I just don't know what to do anymore. I've tried sticker charts, rewards, going somewhere fun and then if her harness is loose when we get there, not doing the fun thing. Taking away special favorite toys/things. Nothing has worked.

Sent from my XT830C using Tapatalk

ADS

AllieK

Ugh, I don't envy you at all! I've got a strong willed, stubborn almost 4 year old myself and I'm so glad this isn't something he has decided to do!

Maybe try including her the responsibility to buckle herself in and tighten the harness (if she can). I know DS really likes buckling the chest clip and positioning it but he can't do the crotch buckle yet. I'm also teaching him to tell when the harness is too loose and I ask for his feedback when tightening it. Some days this works, other days it doesn't. Just yesterday when I was encouraging him to buckle his chest clip he told me, "No! I only do that on Wednesdays!" :rolleyes:

katymyers

Tape or sew shut the opening in the cover. I've threatened to do this in some seats my kids have learned to loosen themselves which has been enough for them but if that wasn't enough is absolutely follow through with the threat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bnsnyde

My very difficult almost 4.5 YO is now insisting on buckling his Sure Ride and it's always twisted. He screams and goes nuts if I help.

At 46.6 " I need that seat for the height (and 50 lbs). It has to be narrow, too.

What to do...

Even for me, it took care not to twist it, and I have to sync it up each time.
Our old Radian never twisted! But he's too big for it.

lgenne

Recaro Performance Sport? The base is pretty narrow, although not as narrow as the base of the Sureride. And the top harness height is only 18", not 19" like the Sureride. But it is supposed to have really non-twisty straps.

bnsnyde

We had 2 and sold them. They were sooo wide, lol.
They twisted a lot for us. But they were EASY for a kid to tighten or loosen. Could be good or bad!
My other child only fit the harness until age 5.5, as it seemed to lose inches when installed. Hm. He's tall but still, yikes.
They are my favorite seat on the market pretty much. But we just didn't have a need for them right now.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC