Tech course

lourdes

So here I am today taking my CPST course!!!! Here is the only place were people understand my excitement! I am the only "civil" allowed on this course
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

1mommy

no the blue one is for RF

Yea im so used to looking at the seat rear facing that looking at it forwards confused me there for a minute.. I edited my comment. I see where the blue is rear facing and the orange is FF now. Maybe its time to drink my coffee now...

Meg

I don't know that I would label the child as a toddler either. He looks as big, if not bigger than my 5 year old son. Regardless, KQ's comment is spot on.

Congrats on becoming a tech! :D

Keeyamah

A properly restrained ff toddler is very safe. Maybe it's there to remind us that parents make the choices and we teach with the goal that the child leaves safer than she arrives. :)
I don't know that I would label the child as a toddler either. He looks as big, if not bigger than my 5 year old son. Regardless, KQ's comment is spot on. Congrats on becoming a tech! :D

Yeah, looks to be somewhere between my 3 yr old (33lbs, 38") and almost 6 yr old (52 lbs and nearly 48"). So the child model may be to big to rear face, I wonder? I'm totally just engaging in a thought exercise without my full intake of morning caffeine, so take whatever I've posted with a slight grain of salt for that reason.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
That's great news, OP! I know you've been a child passenger safety advocate for a while now. :)

If I remember correctly, you're in Puerto Rico, right? Who is the certifying body (who runs the program) for CPSTs in your country? Is it Safe Kids, like in the US? I'd be very curious to know about any differences in the courses.

Good luck!

lourdes

So.... It was a really frustrating and exited day, I leaned a lot, specially about seat belts! But it was kind of frustrating because I can now say that the problem here it's not that the techs are getting lost in translation, it's just that ones they are certified they just create their own "rules" ...... So that's why here we have so many problems with crazy installations, the person in charge is Laura from safekids Texas, she is really nice, great teacher, I am exited but at the same time I feel like it really won't matter much if I am certified of not because I won't be able to do anything to fix the problems in my country

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Don't be so down on yourself, Lourdes! You'd be surprised what a little patience & persistence can do. I certified in a less-than-optimal class (they taught some weird/outdated stuff,) and spent several years doing very little with my certification. But I kept showing up when I could, and patience & persistence allowed me to make my way to an agency where I'm able to do a lot in our local community. There are ways to affect culture change - slow and steady - including gaining experience and working with/mentoring new techs. (We just did an event where I most of the techs were new and even though I'm not an instructor, once they figured out I knew my stuff they'd approach me for help, tips, etc. Corrected a few bad habits!)

I also noticed that once I got certified, the SAME message I'd been preaching for months suddenly held a lot more weight. So you'll have that going for you, too.

Next couple of days are more hands on with car seats :) Enjoy!

lourdes

Don't be so down on yourself, Lourdes! You'd be surprised what a little patience & persistence can do. I certified in a less-than-optimal class (they taught some weird/outdated stuff,) and spent several years doing very little with my certification. But I kept showing up when I could, and patience & persistence allowed me to make my way to an agency where I'm able to do a lot in our local community. There are ways to affect culture change - slow and steady - including gaining experience and working with/mentoring new techs. (We just did an event where I most of the techs were new and even though I'm not an instructor, once they figured out I knew my stuff they'd approach me for help, tips, etc. Corrected a few bad habits!) I also noticed that once I got certified, the SAME message I'd been preaching for months suddenly held a lot more weight. So you'll have that going for you, too. Next couple of days are more hands on with car seats :) Enjoy!
Yes, you are right, it was just frustrating I guess, but one of the person here from safe kids talk to me and is telling to become a tech supervisor after some time and then a tech instructor, here all the firefighters taking the course are asking me things , after a day in class all they say is that I am the mom who knows a lot

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
See? That's awesome! The path from tech -> sr checker -> instructor is a great way to go and to have the ability to influence lots of techs & change your local passenger safety culture. A lot of the weird tech stuff I see is eliminated when new techs have someone to lean on - so they can ask questions instead of just guessing at how it's done.

Glad you've got a class that sees what a gem they have! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC