Is this possible?

beetlemama

Is there a seat that is low profile (to fit in a beetle with the weird curved edges) that is a harness to booster and will accommodate a very tall 6+ year old in booster mode?

H still drives our beetle and for 2.5 years we've been unable to drive my son in it at all unless we know long enough in advance to move his seat. Until now we've kept two boosters in the car for our older kids (8 tomorrow and 6) and whoever drives DS drives the minivan. There have been a handful of times that that really created a problem because I needed to go somewhere with one or both older kid, but needed the minivan instead of the beetle (usually because a friend or two are also riding with us). As we get older and sports and other activities ramp up I suspect this will be a problem more often and with less prior notice.

We would love to replace one of the boosters with a seat that DS (2.5, 38" and 37 lbs) could ride in FF (he will remain RF in my car until he outgrows the radian) and my 6 year old could use as a booster. We want to be able to switch back and forth between the two without uninstalling it so we could switch from the 6 year old to the 2 year old at will.

This would allow H for the first time to drive any combination of our two kids. The only time the 6 year old would use the seat is when she and her sister are both in the car, but that's the most frequent combination to be likely.

Does this option exist at all? Last time I tried it a frontier did not fit in that spot, but my carseat knowledge has improved in that time, so it may fit better than I remember. I'd really prefer to spend quite a bit less than that if possible though.

ADS

beetlemama

I always forget about the Harmony! I need to look into that. Where can you buy that other than WalMart (we don't shop at Walmart)?

I'll look into the securekids too. I'd love to try stuff in store before buying if I can! And glad to hear Graco has a new seat coming out, I'll look at that too.

beetlemama

Thanks everyone! I ended up getting a securekid LX. I took the 6 year old with me and she is on the second from top click on the headrest, so it should fit her for a decent amount of time! It installed quickly and absolutely beautifully in my beetle and even extended all the way doesn't hit the rear window or the strange curved beam. I figured people would want to know of a seat that's good for older/bigger kids and inexpensive but works for a beetle, so I wanted to update. Thanks for the advice! DS will have his first FF ride on Friday when my van is in for service, so it will be interesting to see how he reacts!

Cnidaria

Hooray!

When he took his first FF rides, my older boy complained vociferously that I was driving the wrong route to preschool! :-D

beetlemama

That's hilarious! I'll be interested to see how DS reacts. His sister RF until she outgrew the radian and was mad that I made her turn around. We fought about getting in the car for a good month because she wanted me to "fix" her seat and it was "broken" because it was facing the wrong way. I think it was the hardest transition we ever had in her life.

bnsnyde

I like our Secure Kid. It's easy to install. My new 6 YO is too tall for the harness though already. But it's good for the the 4 YO still.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC