Concerned with adult passenger safety...in particular my ginormous husband..

Momto1bigkiddo

I am just thinking out loud here, so bare with me.

My husband is huge, no.. really, really huge. 6'11'' and 460 lbs. WHAT will happen to him or HIS SEAT in a crash??

He is all torso. His legs are about the same length as mine, and I am only 5'4''.

Is there any way he could be more safe?? Should we look into a harness for him?? Anyone know of a vehicle that would be a good fit for him?? Fat chance I know. lol :whistle:

Also, what are your thoughts about passengers riding BEHIND him??? So far, we have never installed a car seat behind him, but I am thinking for the future.. Will the seat my husband is riding in collapse backwards??

Sorry so many questions.. Where else could I ask this?? :love:

Lay it on me, I already know he is probably a living crash test dummie for his size.

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ah, no wonder your kid is so big! :).

I'd be fairly concerned about the seatback collapsing in a rear ender, honestly, depending on the car (not so much in a Volvo, they test for that stuff extensively, but seatback strength standards for cars are 'about as tough to pass as a lawnchair' or something to that effect :( ) Frontal wouldn't worry me so much, especially if there's airbags 'just in case' the seatbelt fails. They probably need to whip up some larger dummies so people like your dh don't have to be 'the first to find out' :thumbsdown:

Momto1bigkiddo

Here's a picture of him driving. '94 Ford Bronco XLT. (no air bags :()
There are many vehicles, including SUVs, that he cannot physically get into (head hits the ceiling or knees in the dash). Some of the best cars for him have been 2-door cars.

whoops I see now the belt looks twisted. I also don't like how off-the-shoulder it looks..
AlexDriving3.jpg

And here is another one to show his size and for kicks. He was recently on My Name Is Earl...he was acting, he was NEVER in jail or prison, never ever. lol

alexonearl.jpg

keri1292

That's so cool! I love Earl!:love:
But, yeah, he's a BIG dude. He does carry the weight well. I'd never guess close to that by the pic. Wish I carried it that well.:rolleyes: I can imagine finding a car suitable for you both is a pain. I personally wouldn't want my son directly behind him. Just to be safe.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Ooh, awesome! I feel like I 'know' someone famous, rofl.

Yeah, I can actually imagine a 2 door fitting a big guy better... Funny story...we have a friend living with us who's at least 6 ft and looks ridiculously cramped in my minivan, I joked his inseam must be 38 inches... turns out it's only 32, I guess he's got some mega torso to make him that tall and it's still enough to make the minivan not fit (my dh and I wear 32 inseams and we are quite average...)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I joked his inseam must be 38 inches... turns out it's only 32, I guess he's got some mega torso to make him that tall and it's still enough to make the minivan not fit (my dh and I wear 32 inseams and we are quite average...)

I wear a 32-33 inch inseam and I am 5'9". My sister wears a 34-35 inch inseam and she is almost 6 feet tall. My dad, who is SEVERAL inches taller than me, has a shorter inseam than I. :p It is pretty funny.

I went to college with a girl who had CRAZILY long legs. I think she said she had a 36-inch inseam, while her husband, who was WELL over 6 feet tall, had a 30-31-inch inseam. :p It is funny the way that works!

Connor's Mom

LOVE that pic of your DH playing a prisoner! :ROTFLMAO: He is one big dude but as you said his weight does look more evenly distributed than your average 400+ pounder.

I once dated a guy that was 7'2" and can't for the life of me remember what he drove. :confused:

Speaking of inseams, I am 6' tall and have a 36" inseam. Hubby is 6' and is a 32" inseam. Crazy, lol.

KissTheCook

Well, I can say NOT to get a toyota celica or a mazda 323 :D My 6'4" brother had a celica and it was like watching living origami seeing him get in that car.
the 323 wasn't awful but my 6'5" 350+ hubby was a tad bit cramped.
I guess most dealers will or at least SHOULD) give you a belt extender for him free. We thought about it for my dh.
Hrm... This should be interesting to follow though. :confused:

My 6'4" brother had a celica and it was like watching living origami seeing him get in that car.

:ROTFLMAO: That one made me laugh out loud!!!

Whoa, that is one Big Dude! Do you have the heights of the other two in the Earl pic? I am guessing about 6'7" or 6'8" and maybe 5'10" for the guard... :scratcheshead:

Leila

I am just thinking out loud here, so bare with me.

My husband is huge, no.. really, really huge. 6'11'' and 460 lbs. WHAT will happen to him or HIS SEAT in a crash??

He is all torso. His legs are about the same length as mine, and I am only 5'4''.

Is there any way he could be more safe?? Should we look into a harness for him?? Anyone know of a vehicle that would be a good fit for him?? Fat chance I know. lol :whistle:

Also, what are your thoughts about passengers riding BEHIND him??? So far, we have never installed a car seat behind him, but I am thinking for the future.. Will the seat my husband is riding in collapse backwards??

Sorry so many questions.. Where else could I ask this?? :love:

Lay it on me, I already know he is probably a living crash test dummie for his size.

I suspect that his seat would collapse backwards in a rearender. My older brother (who your DH dwarfs, lol!) is 6'4" 250-275lbs. A few weeks back he was rear ended by a semi (BB was stopped at a red, truck was going about 60 when it finally hit him after literally pushing a Jeep into the next lane) and his seat collapsed. My brother (and my father--6'5" 250lbs) have never let anyone ride behind them for just that reason. They're absolutely petrified that someone might get hurt MORE than they'd normally get hurt if their seat collapsed. Of course, they've got such long legs (each of them has 38" inseam) that nobody can really fit behind them anyway!!

Just as an aside...Big Bro walked away from the collision with a concussion, some bruising on his ribs and no recollection of what happened. Everything he's told us came from the paramedics and police officers on scene. The driver of the Jeep walked away too, even refused medical care. The semi driver got whiplash. :rolleyes:

Momto1bigkiddo

: Do you have the heights of the other two in the Earl pic? I am guessing about 6'7" or 6'8" and maybe 5'10" for the guard... :scratcheshead:

Good guess, the big guy on the right is Fred Fortin, a MMA fighter (mixed martial arts) and is 6'8'' tall. And the little guy in the middle, your guess is as good as mine, we're not sure. :p

Momto1bigkiddo

I suspect that his seat would collapse backwards in a rearender. My older brother (who your DH dwarfs, lol!) is 6'4" 250-275lbs. A few weeks back he was rear ended by a semi (BB was stopped at a red, truck was going about 60 when it finally hit him after literally pushing a Jeep into the next lane) and his seat collapsed. My brother (and my father--6'5" 250lbs) have never let anyone ride behind them for just that reason. They're absolutely petrified that someone might get hurt MORE than they'd normally get hurt if their seat collapsed. Of course, they've got such long legs (each of them has 38" inseam) that nobody can really fit behind them anyway!!
[/U]

Wow that is a nasty wreck indeed. So rear-ended, the seat collapsed backwards with someone 250-275??? :eek: Joolsplus3 was right about the lawnchair! I know it was a an extremely powerful crash (60 mph rearended by a semi, while stopped) but still! Wow that is scary. Half this country probably weighs 250! I am really glad to know they survived that one. Those pictures are incredible.

Oh and about the inseem thing, which is really interesting.. I am 5'4'' with a 30'' inseem, my husband is 6'11'' with a 32'' inseem. I actually just looked at some pants in his closet that are 30'' in length! crazy. But if I put them on, they are HUGE and way too big, I guess because of the butt/waist area being longer.

ETA: I Just found this video regarding the subject of seatback failure.. Wowzers..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCJ90_Feo_I

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC