Proof not all firefighters are carseat techs

lovemyfamily

We have some friends, I already have issue with them having their 3yo in a BPB, he use to be a firefighter. Today he and DH went hunting, he took his 5yo and my 6yo and 4yo went along. So I was getting carseats ready to install in his Tahoe and he offered to help, being that I am PG. He installed the MA putting the shoulder belt over the front of it, and wanted to do the same with our Regent, but the belt wasn't long enough! I about fainted!!!!!!!! I told him to get out of my way, and installed the MA with latch and Regent LBP. Then he was giving me crap about wanting to crawl in the back of the Tahoe to hook the tether straps! He said he learned nothing about carseat installation in the fire academy. It was weird to me.

ADS

keri1292

Forget that he's a firefighter. It's sad that he didn't know how to install an easy peasy seat like the MA and he's a DAD!:(

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yup, they don't learn diddly unless they take the tech class, which not every firefighter does (depends on the state, county, whatever, and their policies... most cops don't take the class either...)

I'm glad you were there to install those seats... man.. yeah, a dad should have a clue...

sb518

why would firefighters need to be techs :confused:

I can understand paramedics and EMTs but I don't think firefighters need to be educated unless they do both EMT/FIRE

azgirl71

CPST Instructor
Here the only firefighters who are Techs are the ones who want to take the course. It is not a requirement such as CPR training.

ThreeBeans

Paramedics nor firefighters learn CPS as a matter of course. I was in EMS as an EMT-B and then an EMT-P for 8 years. My husband is a firefighter AND a paramedic. His only carseat knowlege comes from being a parent.

lovemyfamily

why would firefighters need to be techs :confused:

I can understand paramedics and EMTs but I don't think firefighters need to be educated unless they do both EMT/FIRE

They don't all need to be techs. But there have been several other threads on this forum of people going in to firestations assuming that everyone working there knows how to install seats.

Yeah not only is he a dad, he is a dad of 3, ages 5 and under, with #4 on the way. Thankfully his charming personality, and the fact that I am dear friends with his wife, whom I keep educating via email the need to not only turn her barely 1yo back RF, but to also get their 3yo back in a 5pt harness, makes up for his lack of safety knowledge.

scatterbunny

There are NO CPSTs are our local fire department OR police department (none of the city, county or state cops in this county are certified, NONE). The only techs certified in my entire county are two health department employees (for the WIC program) and myself. I tell everyone all the time not to assume a fire department or police department employee will know anything about CPS.

amyg530

wait he tried to install the MA like it was a booster?:eek::confused: i just cant see what would make someone think to use it like that (unless of course youre britney:whistle:)

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I am a firefighter, my husband is also. We are both tech. Most firefighters we see do not know how to properly install their childrens car seats. With the MVA's we see, you would think they would be more careful.

elle7715

It drives me nuts when people say, "Well, my (aunt/sister/neighbor) told me this was OK/what to do and SHE'S/HE'S a (nurse/police officer/firefighter/doctor/etc)". Like that has anything to do with knowing about child safety. Sorry for all the slashes LOL.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC