Regent LBP installation ?

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Regent LBP installation ? UPDATE!!!!

Yesterday dh had to remove K1's Regent from his truck. You all remember the 3 day ordeal I went through to get it installed per the new "enhancement" instructions. This Regent is a 4/06 model. I can get a ROCK solid install with the LBP, recline bar & top tethered. But, using the SBP it is now putting the male end of the buckle right on the belt path bend.

So, What is the offical stand on the pre 6/07 Regents following the "enhancement" instructions. What doesn't make since to me is the Huskies weren't required to follow the new "enhancement" instuctions but the seat is exactly the same.

My thought is there is more points holding the Regent in with the LBP then the SBP so you would think LBP would be safer for heavier kids.

Her Regent in my Tahoe is installed with the SBP, recline bar & top tethered per the new "enhancement" installation but I have fixed belt buckles where dh they are long webbing belt buckles.

Last edited:
ADS

lovemyfamily

According to the lady I spoke to at Britax, if you get a better install on a pre 6/17/07 Regent, using the old install method, do it that way. I am going with that. We can't get as good an install using the new method and therefore I feel like the seat is safer using the old method.

skaterbabs

FYI: the Husky and Regent are NOT the exact same seat. I don't know what the internal differences are, but having had both in my hot little hands at the same time (well, not literally - they are big lol) the Husky weighs a few pounds more than the Regent. It may only be two-four pounds, but it is heavier.

That said, I would have no problem using the old instructions if it were incompatible with the new (or even particularly difficult.)

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
Okay called and spoke to so moron CS rep at first who told me "I HAD to follow the advisory" even though I told her like 10 times I had a Regent pre 6/07. Heck I told her my DOM multiple times. I said to her so your telling me my $300 Regent that is only 1.5yrs old is no good anymore and how it Britax going to compensate me for this?" She puts me on hold and comes back with the same spill "You must follow the enhancement". I finally just said "Either let me speak to your supervisor or let me speak to an engineer."

So, Michelle gets on the phone. I explain my situation. And, She advised me to use my seat per my orginal instructions. She said the Regent still meets and passes "ALL" FMVSS per the old instructions. That the new enhancements should a slight improvement. She couldn't give me data as that was in company information only. But, She said she too is having to follow the old instructions on her Regent too.

I did ask about liability. I wanted to know if I used the seat against the new "enhancement" was I releasing Britax of liability if the Regent failed in a crash. She said that if Britax wanted it everyone to use it per the manuals they would have made it a recall and it would have been mandatory and not called an "enhancement".

Morganthe

She said that if Britax wanted it everyone to use it per the manuals they would have made it a recall and it would have been mandatory and not called an "enhancement".
:rolleyes:

How frustrating to get the double speak! I'm not worried about my installation either. It's on LBP and when dd is over 40lbs in the Camry, it's going to stay on LBP. The short belt path just moves around too much for my ease of mind. LBP is part of the car. SBP only dreams of it ;)

It's installed. The seat isn't going to go anywhere or suffer catastrophic failure just because I have more of the car's belt threaded through it. :shrug-shoulders:

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
It's installed. The seat isn't going to go anywhere or suffer catastrophic failure just because I have more of the car's belt threaded through it. :shrug-shoulders:

That was my dh & I opinion too. The seatbelt has more points of contact with the LBP vs SBP. Just like a 5pt harness we want more points of contact.

I am not really worried about the seat failing in a crash using the LBP over the SBP. I just wanted to see what she would say regarding liability. I understand she can't come out and say "Yes, Britax would still be liable." But, I get the if they wanted it to be used only 1 way they would have made it a recall which then would release them of liability if we went against it. Plus with them telling us we can use it per the old instructions that still holds them respondsible.

MySillyKids

I'm using the Regent (1/07 DOM) with the old manual's instructions. Its in there good, and i will continue to use it that way, because i feel its safER that way. I also like the more points of contact that it has over the SBP.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC