IMMI Go: Ease of use?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Okay, so I know that the IMMI Go is kind of a niche seat and wouldn't necessarily be the best in all circumstances or fit all kids.

Assuming that the seat fits the child, the vehicle, and the budget, though, here's what I'm wondering:

1. Is it easy to install? As I understand it, it's REALLY difficult to install with the seatbelt -- but if you have LATCH, is it pretty easy? Would someone find it relatively easy to install/uninstall on a regular basis?

2. Is the harness height adjustment easy? Are the little shoulder things difficult to squeeze or move up/down?

3. The harness tightness adjuster is kind of strange -- are the single-leg adjusters difficult to use?

4. Are there any ease-of-use issues that would make it difficult for a grandparent (with lower hand strength and dexterity) to install/uninstall and secure a child with this seat?

Looking for something lightweight and easy to take in and out of the car as needed. The grandparents need to be able to install and use the seat when parents aren't there to check or help. I wish we could have them try it out in-person, but it's only available through IMMI's website, it looks like. Are there any other FF seats that you'd recommend for ease-of-use over this one? Considering Britax Frontier, but it seems kind of heavy and also like "too much seat" for the irregularity of use and the size of the kids. Also, the grandparents would likely struggle with adjusting a seat that has HUGS.

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I have an older version of the IMMI Go, so I don't know if anything has changed in this newest iteration. Assuming it's all the same...

I would not recommend a seatbelt install. It can be done--even easily, depending--but I wouldn't have a grandparent do it.

With LATCH? It's a breeze. You still need to apply some weight to get it sufficiently tight (pushing BACK more than DOWN), but it's as easy or easier than pretty much any other seat.

Harness height adjustment is a snap. The shoulder things squeeze easily and slide up and down.

Tightening the straps at the legs is weird, but not hard. Loosening them is a little harder, but I found that seat very easy to fasten without loosening/tightening each time. (Usually I'm a habitual loosener/tightener because I find it easier, but with the Go, I sort of set it and forget it.)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I agree. Really easy with LATCH. Wouldn't do it without.

Its height is highly dependant on the vehicle.

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
I've used the old IMMI Go and the Dorel Go version and both were relatively easy to install and use with LATCH. Don't even think about it if you need to install with seatbelt.

But the easiest FF seat to install with LATCH, hands down - is the Evenflo SecureKid DLX with SureLatch. If the child weighs less than 50 lbs. and the vehicle has LATCH - there is nothing easier. Seriously, it installs in 20 seconds. Every time. In every vehicle I've ever tried. And that 20 seconds includes the time it takes to attach the tether. Now, with that said, the SecureKid doesn't have a no-rethread harness so if it's being used for multiple kids it might not be the best choice. But for a single kid - it's awesome. And it's a lot better for sleeping than the Go.

Just my :twocents:

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I've met several vehicles that didn't get along with SureLATCH.

Good to know! Is the Securekid hard to install in a Subaru? Looking at the manual, it looks like it might require the anchors to be right at the seat bite. Grandparents' car is an Outback with pretty deeply-recessed lower anchors.

Last edited:

aeormsby

I have an older version of the IMMI Go, so I don't know if anything has changed in this newest iteration. Assuming it's all the same...

I would not recommend a seatbelt install. It can be done--even easily, depending--but I wouldn't have a grandparent do it.

With LATCH? It's a breeze. You still need to apply some weight to get it sufficiently tight (pushing BACK more than DOWN), but it's as easy or easier than pretty much any other seat.

Harness height adjustment is a snap. The shoulder things squeeze easily and slide up and down.

Tightening the straps at the legs is weird, but not hard. Loosening them is a little harder, but I found that seat very easy to fasten without loosening/tightening each time. (Usually I'm a habitual loosener/tightener because I find it easier, but with the Go, I sort of set it and forget it.)

I agree with all of this. My DH doesn't do carseat installs but had no problem installing our GO with no direction. I found I often over tightened the harness, not hard at all. I didn't tend to loosen/tighten as much as usual either.

The height if the vehicle seat can be an issue. If it hasn't changed the tether is required to go under adjustable headrests so you need to make sure the seatback is tall enough to hold the seat up.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Subie has ceiling anchors, right? Makes the Go last quite a bit longer (well, like an inch, but still, that can be quite some time for a kid to grow! My small 8 yo still just barely fit in our Go in a ceiling-mounted Escape, while a large 3 yo I knew was too tall in a seat mounted third row minivan seat...), heightwise, than it would last with back/floor mounted top tether anchors.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Subie has ceiling anchors, right? Makes the Go last quite a bit longer (well, like an inch, but still, that can be quite some time for a kid to grow! My small 8 yo still just barely fit in our Go in a ceiling-mounted Escape, while a large 3 yo I knew was too tall in a seat mounted third row minivan seat...), heightwise, than it would last with back/floor mounted top tether anchors.

It varies by the car. My family has 3 different Subarus -- in our Impreza, they are on the back almost on the floor near the latch of the hatchback; in our Forester they are on the ceiling...and of course in the in-laws' Outback where this seat would be most likely used, they are on the back of the seats.

kathysr98

I have a Dorel GO, and had an original issue IMMI GO until it was crashed (empty). Both are super easy to install with LATCH, and the kids who used it found it very comfortable. The adjustments are different, but not difficult.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Good to know about Subarus, thanks so much for clarifying.
Maybe measure the seatback height? That'll be the top limit for her shoulders, and then take off about 2 inches for the height of the Go (it's very short, which is nice, not tall like other boosters, one of the reasons I liked it as a booster, too), and that'll give you a rough estimate of 'top slot height', though I think in technical terms, the top of the Go is about 18 inches...if you get much more than that, then you should be able to use it to the max.
But anyway, it's really easy to install and doesn't need a ton of adjusting, which isn't hard to do, really, the toughest part is probably just the reaching back and hooking the tether. DH took ours in and out all the time and always got it right.

bubbaray

For a lightweight, FFg, easy-to-install with seatbelts or LATCH, I would probably look at something like a Maestro.

I can't imagine installing a Frontier on a casual, as-needed basis. Its a beast and I dreaded installing mine.

cookie123

My Evenflo SecureKid was really easy to install with SureLatch. And light and easy to maneuver. Matthew didn't complain about it when he used it.
Don't they have a version with just premium latch too? I'm not sure if my memory serves me correctly - my Prius latch is kind of deep. I thought it might not get tight enough if the latches were not in there a bit.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
For a lightweight, FFg, easy-to-install with seatbelts or LATCH, I would probably look at something like a Maestro.

I can't imagine installing a Frontier on a casual, as-needed basis. Its a beast and I dreaded installing mine.

I move my Frontier 90 (with Clicktight) fairly often. Yes it's heavy but it's so easy to install That's a trade-off I'm usually happy with...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My Evenflo SecureKid was really easy to install with SureLatch. And light and easy to maneuver. Matthew didn't complain about it when he used it.
Don't they have a version with just premium latch too? I'm not sure if my memory serves me correctly - my Prius latch is kind of deep. I thought it might not get tight enough if the latches were not in there a bit.

Yes, the DLX at BRU now doesn't have the SureLATCH, just regular (oh dear, I can't remember if they are regular or premium! I actually think they aren't even premium anymore, they REALLY stripped the seat down, I have some pretty bummed repeat customers over it...). Finding the SureLATCH is definitely an online endeavor now that it's gone from BRU.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Yes, the DLX at BRU now doesn't have the SureLATCH, just regular (oh dear, I can't remember if they are regular or premium! I actually think they aren't even premium anymore, they REALLY stripped the seat down, I have some pretty bummed repeat customers over it...). Finding the SureLATCH is definitely an online endeavor now that it's gone from BRU.

Oh boo. I was planning to try out the SureLatch this week when I go to BRU to help a friend find a convertible for her son.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC