Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

broken seatbelt buckle

Assuming this is totally our responsibility to pay for because we purchased an older used out of warranty vehicle, but just in case... Anyone have experience with a seatbelt buckle breaking? On the one hand stuff breaks, owner pays, right? On the other hand it's essential safety equipment that shouldn't break or multifunction, right? Kind of like all those airbags getting recalled?

The driver seatbelt buckle won't latch anymore at all. It was sticky for a while (not sticky because of spill, just hard to get latched) but today it's just done. 06 sienna le

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: broken seatbelt buckle

Call Toyota and ask. I know Ford and GM will replace faulty seatbelts that just break on their own because I've had both of them replace things for me in older vehicles (2000 Pontiac Montana that I bought in 2011 and a 1992 Ford F-150 that my husband drove in 2008 when we were first married).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Thank You from:

Some manufacturers may replace certain safety equipment after the bumper to bumper warranty expires. Some may be covered under a different warranty, or a policy with dealers that isn't public knowledge. Never hurts to ask!

6. Thank You from:

Wow, honestly did not expect those answers, I will definitely give it a try then. LIke I said, I see both sides-old vehicle stuff is going to happen, and yet it's an essential thing. I was panicked b/c I HAD To drive it, no choice. So...my solution was buckling my seatbelt into the passenger side buckle. It was all I could think of other than just going without.

Off to find number for Toyota. Thanks, gusy.

Well, the hope was brief. Toyota says out of warranty it's customer expense. And for future knowledge, that it is something usually covered by engine powertrain warranty except in KS. Where I am. Not sure why. So I guess I'm off to eBay.

Randomness..Toyota rep just called me back and said she got it wrong-KS is the ONLY state that the warranty on that specifically is 10 years, so hopefully an authorized Toyota dealer will fix it. Cool. Now to call our closest dealer and see about that. lol

Moderator - CPS Technician

Good luck! 2006 is not *that* old; seems like a seatbelt buckle shouldn't break that quickly.
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

Yeah, doesn't seem old enough for seatbelts to be busting, though it is nearly 10 years old. They fixed it for free-didn't order a new part, said somethign was lined up right and lubricated it. However, I'll be going back b/c it still isn't acting exactly as the other buckles. When you push the release button it doesn't immediately pop right back out like it should. It slowly slides to the top and makes a little grinding noise. So I thikn they should replace the buckle rather than doing this stop gap fix that'll leave us needing a replacement in a few months when it ISN'T covered by warranty anymore! Since Toyota says it's 10 years.

Good luck - the "problem" with getting something fixed under warranty is that they can pretty much decide what method they're going to use to "fix" it!

Quote Originally Posted by jjordan View Post
    Good luck - the "problem" with getting something fixed under warranty is that they can pretty much decide what method they're going to use to "fix" it!
    LOL yeah. My argument will be it's not functioning correctly still. It takes 'forever' long to slide back into regular position after depressing the button. And it shouldn't. And there's still that noise, which is what led to it not working in the first place.

They've ordered a new buckle and will call when it's in.

Luckily it's a pretty new dealership striving to get customers, not sure if it would've been any different going to one of the others or not but I know that had something to do with it, they didn't even make me bring it in again to see for themselves that it was still malfunctioning. I'll be glad to get it fixed, I don't feel very safe in it. Seems to me if it's having issues catching that perhaps it'll have issues staying latched in an accident.

Yay!

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

LAF, did you end up getting your broken buckle replaced? Just wondering. I'm having a problem with the driver seatbelt in my 2005 Odyssey and need to get it replaced. I'm hoping it will be replaced under warranty. (Totally different vehicle and different problem, I know - just looking to hear from someone else who actually DID get their seatbelt or buckle replaced under warranty in an older vehicle.)
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

Yes! Completely covered under warranty but Toyota said that had something to do with what my state required which didn't make much sense to me. But she said in my state it was ten years on the belts

Thanks, I'll have to check into it. Glad you got yours replaced with no problem.
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

As far as I know Honda offered a lifetime warranty on seatbelts until just a few years ago so an 05 Ody should be covered by that.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by ketchupqueen View Post
    As far as I know Honda offered a lifetime warranty on seatbelts until just a few years ago so an 05 Ody should be covered by that.
    Thanks. I'll report back (in a new thread) when I have more info.
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos