Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3

    Car seat for 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

    Hi All - Does anyone have convertible car seat suggestions for a 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S? We read that some had success with the Diono Radian RXT but we couldn't get it to fit securely. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #2
    CPS Technician littleangelfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kansas city area
    Posts
    1,753

    Re: Car seat for 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

    Quote Originally Posted by atout View Post
    Hi All - Does anyone have convertible car seat suggestions for a 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S? We read that some had success with the Diono Radian RXT but we couldn't get it to fit securely. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Welcome!

    I haven't had the pleasure of working personally with a Porsche and car seats, but if I remember correctly Wendy has, hopefully she'll come along. It was definitely older than that so no idea if it woudl still hold true but I remember her saying a Britax convertible worked well in there.

    But first things first: How old is the child? height? weight?

    What position were you trying the Diono seat in? Were you installing with LATCH or seatbelt?

  4. Thank You from:


  5. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for your reply. Daughter is 13 months, about 20 lbs and 30". Unfortunately the Porsche doesn't have a latch system so it's with the seatbelt.
    Posted via Mobile Device

  6. #4
    Carseat Crazy
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    751

    Re: Car seat for 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

    Check out this link: http://csftl.org/rear-facing-car-seat-myths-busted/

    If you scroll down to Myth #4 it shows Wendy's pic of a RF seat in a Porsche. Obviously this doesn't help, but the photo is proof it can be done! Maybe someone out there can name that seat while we're waiting for Wendy to chime in?
    Allie, Mom to
    DS (1.6.2012) riding in a Frontier
    DD (2.2.2014) riding in a 4Ever & Boulevard

  7. Thank You from:


  8. #5
    CPS Technician littleangelfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kansas city area
    Posts
    1,753

    Re: Car seat for 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

    Quote Originally Posted by AllieK View Post
    Check out this link: http://csftl.org/rear-facing-car-seat-myths-busted/

    If you scroll down to Myth #4 it shows Wendy's pic of a RF seat in a Porsche. Obviously this doesn't help, but the photo is proof it can be done! Maybe someone out there can name that seat while we're waiting for Wendy to chime in?
    It's an older Britax convertible, I'm forgetting the name at the moment, I *think* it was pre-Marathon if I'm remembering what she had correctly. But I'm not positive. Either way, similar base and stuff.

    And not having LATCH is absolutely not a problem. I did look it up in my LATCH manual just to confirm it didn't have lower LATCH anchors, and it doesn't. It does, hhowever, have the top tether anchor, though you won't use that until the child is forward facing.

    Installing with seatbelt is just as safe, and frankly often easier, than using LATCH anyway.

    I'd absolutely try a Britax convertible. Though I'm still curious in what way the Diono seat wasn't working. It's a REALLY tall seat, though, so it wouldn't be my first pick for a tiny backseat. Did it wiggle too much side to side? Front to back?

  9. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    5

    Re: Car seat for 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

    Wow, what a coincidence! I have the same question with a 1999 same model. I'll be watching the thread closely.

    I've read a radian will work with some finessing. That it can be done with the seatbelt and back tether. (latch not available in this car). Is that combination safe? Have also seen the Recaro ProSport will work, but it's discontinued so the best we could find was used (don't love this idea) or shipped from overseas.

    Our child is FF, 42" and 36 lbs, and still in a 5 point toddler seat in our other vehicles. Any insight would be appreciated!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited by AndreaE; 08-25-2015 at 09:40 PM.

  10. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    3

    Re: Car seat for 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

    Yes, the Diono wiggled too much in all directions. The seat belts are positioned so they come angled from the bottom, not from the back of the seat, so that is probably a factor. We used the Cybex Aton II base for our infant seat and it worked beautifully, so we know it's possible to get a tight safe fit!

    I'm glad to hear your seat belt vs. latch opinion! Getting a latch installed is pretty costly so we were hoping to avoid that.

    We'll take a look at the Britax Marathon. Thank you!

  11. #8
    CPS Technician littleangelfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kansas city area
    Posts
    1,753

    Re: Car seat for 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

    Quote Originally Posted by atout View Post
    Yes, the Diono wiggled too much in all directions. The seat belts are positioned so they come angled from the bottom, not from the back of the seat, so that is probably a factor. We used the Cybex Aton II base for our infant seat and it worked beautifully, so we know it's possible to get a tight safe fit!

    I'm glad to hear your seat belt vs. latch opinion! Getting a latch installed is pretty costly so we were hoping to avoid that.

    We'll take a look at the Britax Marathon. Thank you!
    That makes sense then, sounds like what we call forward of the bight belts which usually are incompatible with the Diono seats unfortunately. And some other seats that are very low profile. But seats that are on a base should do just fine, like The Britax is. Chicco NextFit and Evenflo Triumph would be two others you could try if you only need the one child seat back there. They are hugely wide seats, lol, but on the other hand take up less room front to back b/c of the bowl shape, and they all three sit on a base which usually makes them easy installs.

    As far as the Recaro seat for PP, they haven't changed their seats a ton, to my knowledge, but though they are perfectly safe nice seast they are not often recommended around here. They don't last kids as long as some of the other seats we do recommend.

  12. Thank You from:


  13. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    5

    Re: Car seat for 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

    Any reccomendations for a child seat/booster combo for a 42" child in the same vehicle?
    Posted via Mobile Device

  14. #10
    CPS Technician littleangelfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kansas city area
    Posts
    1,753

    Re: Car seat for 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaE View Post
    Any reccomendations for a child seat/booster combo for a 42" child in the same vehicle?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    How old is the child and what is his/her weight?

  15. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by littleangelfire View Post
    How old is the child and what is his/her weight?
    4 years old and 35 lbs
    Posted via Mobile Device

  16. #12
    CPS Technician littleangelfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kansas city area
    Posts
    1,753

    Re: Car seat for 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaE View Post
    4 years old and 35 lbs
    Posted via Mobile Device
    So preferably the child needs to be in a forward facing 5 point harness for a year or two yet. Forward of the bight belts can be tricky to get seats to work well, but I can't think of a specific combination seat that would be a problem or be perfect either. It's going to depend on your budget, mostly.

  17. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by littleangelfire View Post
    So preferably the child needs to be in a forward facing 5 point harness for a year or two yet. Forward of the bight belts can be tricky to get seats to work well, but I can't think of a specific combination seat that would be a problem or be perfect either. It's going to depend on your budget, mostly.
    Budget is not much of a concern as long as it's the "right seat." Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device

  18. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaE View Post
    Budget is not much of a concern as long as it's the "right seat." Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Also 5 pt convertible to booster would be preferable.
    Posted via Mobile Device

  19. #15
    CPS Technician littleangelfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    kansas city area
    Posts
    1,753

    Re: Car seat for 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

    Favorite combination seats:
    Britax Frontier90 Click Tight. SHoudl be an easy install even with the forward of the bight belt. Again a pretty wide seat, won't leave much room for anyone else in the backseat.

    Graco Nautilus

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •