Question Car seat for 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S

atout

Hi All - Does anyone have convertible car seat suggestions for a 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S? We read that some had success with the Diono Radian RXT but we couldn't get it to fit securely. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ADS

littleangelfire

Hi All - Does anyone have convertible car seat suggestions for a 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S? We read that some had success with the Diono Radian RXT but we couldn't get it to fit securely. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome!

I haven't had the pleasure of working personally with a Porsche and car seats, but if I remember correctly Wendy has, hopefully she'll come along. It was definitely older than that so no idea if it woudl still hold true but I remember her saying a Britax convertible worked well in there.

But first things first: How old is the child? height? weight?

What position were you trying the Diono seat in? Were you installing with LATCH or seatbelt?

atout

Thanks for your reply. Daughter is 13 months, about 20 lbs and 30". Unfortunately the Porsche doesn't have a latch system so it's with the seatbelt.
Posted via Mobile Device

littleangelfire

Check out this link: http://csftl.org/rear-facing-car-seat-myths-busted/

If you scroll down to Myth #4 it shows Wendy's pic of a RF seat in a Porsche. Obviously this doesn't help, but the photo is proof it can be done! :) Maybe someone out there can name that seat while we're waiting for Wendy to chime in?

It's an older Britax convertible, I'm forgetting the name at the moment, I *think* it was pre-Marathon if I'm remembering what she had correctly. But I'm not positive. Either way, similar base and stuff.

And not having LATCH is absolutely not a problem. I did look it up in my LATCH manual just to confirm it didn't have lower LATCH anchors, and it doesn't. It does, hhowever, have the top tether anchor, though you won't use that until the child is forward facing.

Installing with seatbelt is just as safe, and frankly often easier, than using LATCH anyway.

I'd absolutely try a Britax convertible. Though I'm still curious in what way the Diono seat wasn't working. It's a REALLY tall seat, though, so it wouldn't be my first pick for a tiny backseat. Did it wiggle too much side to side? Front to back?

AndreaE

Wow, what a coincidence! I have the same question with a 1999 same model. I'll be watching the thread closely.

I've read a radian will work with some finessing. That it can be done with the seatbelt and back tether. (latch not available in this car). Is that combination safe? Have also seen the Recaro ProSport will work, but it's discontinued so the best we could find was used (don't love this idea) or shipped from overseas.

Our child is FF, 42" and 36 lbs, and still in a 5 point toddler seat in our other vehicles. Any insight would be appreciated!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:

atout

Yes, the Diono wiggled too much in all directions. The seat belts are positioned so they come angled from the bottom, not from the back of the seat, so that is probably a factor. We used the Cybex Aton II base for our infant seat and it worked beautifully, so we know it's possible to get a tight safe fit!

I'm glad to hear your seat belt vs. latch opinion! Getting a latch installed is pretty costly so we were hoping to avoid that.

We'll take a look at the Britax Marathon. Thank you!

littleangelfire

Yes, the Diono wiggled too much in all directions. The seat belts are positioned so they come angled from the bottom, not from the back of the seat, so that is probably a factor. We used the Cybex Aton II base for our infant seat and it worked beautifully, so we know it's possible to get a tight safe fit!

I'm glad to hear your seat belt vs. latch opinion! Getting a latch installed is pretty costly so we were hoping to avoid that.

We'll take a look at the Britax Marathon. Thank you!

That makes sense then, sounds like what we call forward of the bight belts which usually are incompatible with the Diono seats unfortunately. And some other seats that are very low profile. But seats that are on a base should do just fine, like The Britax is. Chicco NextFit and Evenflo Triumph would be two others you could try if you only need the one child seat back there. They are hugely wide seats, lol, but on the other hand take up less room front to back b/c of the bowl shape, and they all three sit on a base which usually makes them easy installs.

As far as the Recaro seat for PP, they haven't changed their seats a ton, to my knowledge, but though they are perfectly safe nice seast they are not often recommended around here. They don't last kids as long as some of the other seats we do recommend.

littleangelfire

4 years old and 35 lbs
Posted via Mobile Device

So preferably the child needs to be in a forward facing 5 point harness for a year or two yet. Forward of the bight belts can be tricky to get seats to work well, but I can't think of a specific combination seat that would be a problem or be perfect either. It's going to depend on your budget, mostly.

AndreaE

So preferably the child needs to be in a forward facing 5 point harness for a year or two yet. Forward of the bight belts can be tricky to get seats to work well, but I can't think of a specific combination seat that would be a problem or be perfect either. It's going to depend on your budget, mostly.
Budget is not much of a concern as long as it's the "right seat." Any suggestions would be great! Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

littleangelfire

Favorite combination seats:
Britax Frontier90 Click Tight. SHoudl be an easy install even with the forward of the bight belt. Again a pretty wide seat, won't leave much room for anyone else in the backseat.

Graco Nautilus

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC