Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Cars with no shoulder belts

Just looking for some ideas - we are planning an overseas move. Many of the cars in the Philippines only have shoulder belts in the front seats - is there something else I can use for my kiddos in booster seats? Or is it possible to install shoulder belts into a car?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Following
    Blessed Mama to
    DD1 T 29 months RF - Britax Advocate
    DD2 J 6 months RF - Britax B Safe

Carseat Crazy

Re: Cars with no shoulder belts

I'm sure a tech will chime in with concrete knowledge but just from reading these forums I'm thinking a few things: 1) harness the kiddos in a Britax Frontier until the seat is outgrown 2) E-Z on 86Y harness? I don't know much about these so hopefully others will chime in, or you can research on your own 3) a Ride Safer Travel Vest which I believe can be used with a lap belt if you have a top tether spot.

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonflower413 View Post
    Just looking for some ideas - we are planning an overseas move. Many of the cars in the Philippines only have shoulder belts in the front seats - is there something else I can use for my kiddos in booster seats? Or is it possible to install shoulder belts into a car?

Are you buying a car once you get there? Renting? Using taxis?

If buying, is the entire fleet in the Philippines lap belt only or can a vehicle with lap/shoulder belts be purchased? If they are available, I'd try hard to find one within your price range.

If renting, request a vehicle with lap/shoulder belts. If using taxis, not sure what could easily be done, as the seats/vests that can be used with lap only belts require tether anchors and you are unlikely to find them in a vehicle with lap only belts.

If you end up buying, frontiers until fully outgrown in harness mode with an ezon heavy duty tether anchor installed. Then you're stuck with the belt unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCO 4/15

Planning on buying. There are only 2 options for vehicles for us that would fit our family size and that come in an automatic transmission (hubby can't drive manual due to knee problems). Unless we went for a jeepney... but then there would be no seat belts at all.

This is crazy! OP I would get the frontier 90's and I would rather use them without a top tether anchor then use a booster with no shoulder belt
    Blessed Mama to
    DD1 T 29 months RF - Britax Advocate
    DD2 J 6 months RF - Britax B Safe