Question infant seat in the middle back seat?

U

Unregistered

Hi!
I have a 2012 Nissan Altima. I currently have my 1yo in a Britax Boulevard Clicktight in the middle backseat. Baby number 2 will be here soon and I will need to install his Graco Snugride Click connect 35LX in the back seat as well. I had wanted to place the Britax behind the driver's seat, the Graco next to it in the middle seat, and leave the remaining seat open for me. (When I'm not driving, I like to sit in the back with my baby, soon to be babies.) I had planned to install the Graco using LATCH, but read in my car's manual that you cannot use the LATCH system in the middle seat. I'm wondering if I can safely install the Graco in the middle seat using the seatbelt rather than the LATCH? Also, is it safer to install an infant seat using LATCH or seat belt? I feel like LATCH might be a little more secure...? I am not super familiar with all this stuff, but it is so important to me that my babies are safe in the car.

Obviously, I can always leave the middle seat empty and install the seats on the sides, but if I can I would like to be able to still sit with the babies.

Thanks in advance for the help! =)

ADS

rin2809

You can absolutely install the seat in the center of the back seat using the seatbelt. In fact, if you are using LATCH for your Britax seat behind the driver, you would not be able to use the LATCH in the center even if the car allowed for it. You can't have two seats using the same LATCH point. LATCH is not any safer than installing with a seatbelt, it is just more convenient.

I would recommend reading the manual directions of how to install the base with the seatbelt. Since your car is a 2012, I would assume that your seatbelts have ELR, which means they will lock if you pull them all the way out, then let them back in slowly (you will hear a click). If you have trouble doing the seatbelt install, contact a tech in your area and they should be able to help you. Or bring any questions back to the group here, everyone is more than willing to help!

AllieK

That's going to be a tight squeeze, if your car is similar to mine! I have a 2010 Malibu and I wasn't able to get our Boulevard & Snugride installed next to each other; the base would install but the infant seat couldn't click in. :(

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Edit...I'll leave this post here for other snugride owners, but the person below me noted that this poster is using the LX model, which has a built in lockoff for seatbelt installs, no need for a locking clip to prevent tipping when installed with a locked shoulderbelt.

I'd probably try the Snugride now, in the outboard seat, without moving the Click Tight (PS, are you aware of the recall on those? The harness adjuster can stick, they send out a little bit of lubricant to keep it moving freely, check www.britaxusa.com for details...if your harness button isn't sticking, it's safe to use in the meantime).
The Snugride is very safe when installed with the seatbelt, though the belts tend to pull it up sideways, and the pre-emptive 'fix' is to use a locking clip to hold the belt snug, rather than the locking mechanism in your car--that is, pulling the belt all the way out and letting it retract to stay tight and locked...your Britax doesn't need that, as the CT acts like a locking clip, essentially. If it doesn't fit now, in this configuration, then you might be out of luck putting it in the middle, too, at least you'll know in advance!
Here's a helpful video in case you manage to use the center with the belt (or sometimes, installing both seats with the belt allow you to scootch them over enough that they fit, while LATCH tends to push seats towards the center so they can't be next to each other) Rear-Facing Infant Seat with Seat Belt and Locking Clip - YouTube

Last edited:

1mommy

Just an opinion, personally with the oldest still being so young, I would prefer to keep the seat in the middle open to squeeze in, that way you can tend to either child. That's at least what worked best for me and yes it can be a tight squeeze between the 2 seats and more uncomfortable for you, but I prefer to be able to easily reach my older child as well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC