Chest Clip Placement

AllieK

DH and I constantly disagree about the chest clip placement. I try to align the top of the chest clip with the child's arm pit, DH uses the nipples. All in all it's less than an inch difference probably but a hot topic in our house. Then I started thinking about UK carseats and how those have no chest clip and I am beginning to wonder if 0.5-1" makes that big of a difference...?
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

AllieK

Thanks, featherhead. Now that you mention it, it's only on DS (3.5yrs, 42lbs, 44") that we disagree. I don't have a problem with DH's placement on DD (18mo, 24lbs, 33").
Posted via Mobile Device

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
As long as the clip is over the sternum and not belly, you'll be fine.

(It's funny, I was just speaking with another very seasoned tech at Kidz in Motion about the disproportionate emphasis this has received lately.)

Strongest part of the chest is important. Microscopically exact placement is not.

thekatie

As long as the clip is over the sternum and not belly, you'll be fine. (It's funny, I was just speaking with another very seasoned tech at Kidz in Motion about the disproportionate emphasis this has received lately.) Strongest part of the chest is important. Microscopically exact placement is not.
It's a HUGE thing in the mom circles, though. They talk more about chest clip placement than rear facing.

If anything, I have a habit of putting it up too high, and inevitably I'll glance back and have to tell J2 to bump his clip down a tick. I don't stress about it, but I am aware.

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It's a HUGE thing in the mom circles, though. They talk more about chest clip placement than rear facing.
I think it's because it's an easy thing to point out to each other, and so it becomes the thing that everybody notices and thinks about. If I snap a photo of my kid in her car seat and put it on Facebook, what are the chances that anyone can tell if her seat is properly reclined? Installed with LATCH AND seatbelt instead of one or the other? Tethered to a cargo hook instead of a manufacturer-approved TA? Pretty much slim to none that any of those things would be visible. They might be able to see her harness height and, IF they could tell whether the seat was RF or FF, they might remind me of the rules for harness position. Other than that, really the only thing consistently visible and open to comment is the chest clip.

My husband put a photo of DD1 in her car seat on our Christmas cards when she was a baby. It was from before I knew that I should have removed the harness pads if they were pushing her chest clip down. I was mortified to have that picture on our cards! DH said it didn't matter because the pic was cute and nobody but me would notice....I'm not so sure!

Carrie_R

Yep, Katie, that was the point. "We" spend time online fussing about the .5" of chest clip placement that is very unlikely to matter in an accident instead of worrying about the unrestrained toddler three houses down. So long as it's on the sternum & not belly (vaguely aligned with armpits) it will do its job. There are sooooo many bigger fish to fry. (At least three presentations I attended discussed major vs minor misuse and it was such an eye-opening reminder of where we need to focus our advocacy efforts.)

Diono's Alanna Pinkerton & CSO (carseatblog)'s own Kecia gave a FABULOUS talk on Social Media and CPS that IMO should be required for anyone who wants to tech or advocate on the Internet. To give credit, my second sentence above is paraphrased from that presentation - but it reflects my feelings on the matter as well.

Sorry to derail, Allie! I don't mean to dismiss your concerns about the wellbeing of your child! Rest assured he is very well protected with the chest clip in either position, so long as the install is solid, her straps are at/above and snug on her body. :)

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Diono's Alanna Pinkerton & CSO (carseatblog)'s own Kecia gave a FABULOUS talk on Social Media and CPS that IMO should be required for anyone who wants to tech or advocate on the Internet.

Cool! Is this available to the general public? Like is there a recording or a transcription available?

AllieK

Sorry to derail, Allie! I don't mean to dismiss your concerns about the wellbeing of your child! Rest assured he is very well protected with the chest clip in either position, so long as the install is solid, her straps are at/above and snug on her body. :)

No worries, I appreciate all the detailed responses! :D

CTPDMom

I know Carrie and I are in some of the same FB groups (I think so anyway) and I agree the chest clip thing is a 'hot topic' these days! OMG! I would use the words 'freaking insane' though. LOL

I also agree there is no one exact spot, and it sounds like op and her dh are both doing great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC