Do You Educate the Pediatrician?

AllieK

I normally don't read those handouts they give at the pediatrician's office for well checks but I just noticed the one we got at DD's 18 month well check says, "If child weighs more than 20 pounds, child can ride in forward-facing car seat in the back seat" WTF? I would HOPE the office was at least using handouts in line with the AAP's recommendation on this... :(

I have a good relationship with the office, we've been going there for about 4 years now with both kids. Should I mention something to the doctor? Write a letter to the medical group? This is the largest hospital in the region that is affiliated with the region's children's hospital so I would think they'd be more progressive. :(
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

jjordan

I would start by mentioning it to the pediatrician, and ask him/her the next step. For example, "I read the handout from dd's 18 month appointment, and I noticed that the car seat recommendation is outdated. The AAP currently recommends that children stay in a rear facing car seat longer. Is the handout something that is produced by someone here, or should I talk to someone at [name of hospital] about it?"

I brought printed copies of the NHTSA fliers and asked my pediatrician if they would post them in the office. They've been up for several years now!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Mine seems to have a pretty good checklist, and they told me Leah needed a booster for a few more inches when she was 54 at her 8 yo checkup :dance:
Then again, I was putting in an RF seat for my ds' school secretary's grandkid, and she said 'Dr C says they can be FF at 1...'. Dr C is also my doctor, and she seems to be very evidence based for our particular population... like, no HPV till the kids in OUR neighborhood are 15, and she's probably right, no kids in HER practice are dying or sustaining serious head injury at 1 from FF... I sort of think maybe I should bring it up, just because we don't see it frequently (or at all, in our tiny enclave) doesn't mean we shouldn't shoot for better...

Last edited:

bnsnyde

I'd mention it.
The Dr. doesn't usually even mention seats. Sometimes he says, and he's still using his carseat, right? But at age 4 or so.

They are always surprised I have RF kids so long or probably that my 9 YO still uses one (didn't even ask).

Our handouts always say use a RF seat until 2. So that means that everyone switches at 2. Ahhhh... Sure, it says or until outgrown by height and weigh, blah, blah, but that's secondary and does no good to keep kids RF. People just see 2.
And for boosters, they see age 8. So on the 8th birthday it's assumed it's no longer needed.

AllieK

The handout is by the Calif. Dept. of Multicultural Health, dated 7/2012. I work in county government here and I've never heard of this organization! LOL I think I will mention it at DD's 24mo visit, if I can remember. 2yrs should be the bare minimum for FF and the doctors should encourage that! SMH
Posted via Mobile Device

AllieK

I brought printed copies of the NHTSA fliers and asked my pediatrician if they would post them in the office. They've been up for several years now!

Do you have a link to something I could recommend to the doctor?
Posted via Mobile Device

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
The handout is by the Calif. Dept. of Multicultural Health, dated 7/2012. I work in county government here and I've never heard of this organization! LOL I think I will mention it at DD's 24mo visit, if I can remember. 2yrs should be the bare minimum for FF and the doctors should encourage that! SMH Posted via Mobile Device

According to my googling, the office of multicultural health became part of the "Office of Health Equity" as of July 1, 2012. Maybe whomever put together the handout was overwhelmed with the change (or new, or recently laid off as a result of the change) and messed up the handout.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC