Tips for preventing tilting when installing with a lap-shoulder belt?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Any tips to prevent tilting when installing with a lap-shoulder belt? I will be installing a Titan 65 (same install as Sureride) rear-facing this afternoon and I know from my prior frustrations with this seat that tilting is an issue. Would live some advice!

ADS

Brianna

I've had to use a locking clip for all RF installs in my car, I learned that the hard way when one tipped right over around a (slow) corner.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Locking clip might be the best bet, but you could also try installing the seat with the belt not locked. Then you pull the lap portion tight, THEN gently and slowly lock the shoulder belt, and don't touch the shoulder belt again. Chances are it'll still tilt at some point but it might buy you some time.

griffinej5

Locking clip. Or put another seat next to it, installed next to each other so the two seats use the buckles next to each other. I only say that because I had two in my mom's car like that, and then took one out. I couldn't figure out after a few days why the other was tilting so bad.

Aurezalia

Is this a car & seat combination that you've had tilting issues with prior? Or putting it in a different car? I've found a lot of it can vary based on seat and car geometry, but if tilting is an issue really the only way around it is a locking clip.
I have a RF Sureride in my Mazda5 that I've never had any tipping issues with - the design of the seat to me seems less prone to tipping than others I've had issues with, but that could just be bias since it works well in my car. ;)

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Thanks everyone! As it turned out, in this vehicle I was able to get a good install outboard with latch, but I will keep these tips handy if I ever need to put it in the center with the seatbelt again!

And it's good to see just how much movement can happen with that tilt, Julie! Wow!

AllieK

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Can you buy a locking clip at a store? My Titan 65 didn't come with one -- the manual says to contact evenflo if you need one. Is there any way to get one faster than asking them to ship it to me?

Nedra

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
You can grab one off of any seat you have.

None of my other seats have come with one either. :-(

Three of my seats have built-in lock-offs.

I don't know why the Cybex Aton didn't come with one because I know that the belt tensioning plate is NOT a lock-off....but, yeah, it didn't come with one either.

jjordan

You can buy locking clips in a store like Babies R Us. If you don't need one right away, you can also keep an eye out for expired seats at consignment stores or yard sales or whatever, and ask for the locking clips off of those. Or if you know any CPST's that are local, they probably have a bunch just sitting around that they've taken off of expired seats.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
My BRU hasn't sold LC's in years, maybe some of the fancier stores do?
A local tech probably has a good supply, or one of us can mail you one, if it's faster than Evenflo.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
O M G I would have had a heart attack if this happened to me!
Posted via Mobile Device

She slept through it and I didn't have a mirror, though I quite remember my face going ghost white and my heart hitting the floor when I got home and opened the door and saw that :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC