British Airways are giving me a headache

storkbyte

I'm flying solo with my 10-month-old next month from San Diego to London (11 hours) then London to Spain (3 hours) a few days later.

My daughter is very large for her age. Currently weighs 23.5 lbs and is 29" tall (97th percentile), will likely be a bit bigger by the time we fly. We have the Chicco NextFit and I assumed I could bring it on the plane, so I bought her her own seat.

However, British Airways has informed me that because the *top* part of the NextFit exceeds its maximum permitted dimensions of 17.5" x 17.5", I cannot bring it into the cabin.

BA cannot guarantee that they will have a safety device to restrain her, even if I reserve one "due to operational reasons," so I can't rely on them.

I will need a car seat to get to/from the airport in London; and I will need a car seat for the 2 weeks I am in Spain. BUT I also want my daughter to be safe while we are airborne.

So, I thought I'd buy a new car seat that fits the dimensions. However, I can't find one that is smaller than 17.5" at its maximum measurement that costs less than $200.

I'd consider a CARES harness, because my daughter meets the weight requirements, but not the age requirements. I also don't know if I can use it on an intercontinental flight because I don't know if the loop that goes around the seat back would interfere with the in-set TV screen of the person sitting behind her.

Safety is not something I am willing to compromise on, so I am unwilling to gate check a CRS. I know this is a hot topic (am I paranoid? is it safe? is it as good as crashed?) and even though I think it's *probably* fine, I'd rather have peace of mind by not using a car seat that has been gate checked before.

I'm really at a loss here. I already splurged on a separate seat for her, so having to shell out another $200 would really hurt. Not to mention, I already have a perfectly decent car seat that works just fine in a car!!

Any thoughts on what I could do to fly safely with her? Thank you!

Edited to add: BA on Twitter has informed me that they only permit a CRS to be gate-checked within Europe if the CRS is "Group 0" and "if the infant is in it." I think Group 0 refers to an infant CRS, but I can't be sure -- and there's no way of telling which US CRS's would be considered Group 0 without an official designation. The second part of their criteria makes no sense to me. Why would I gate check my CRS if my baby is in it? Urgh.

Last edited:
ADS

storkbyte

Cosco Scenera NEXT?

Thanks for your response! Unfortunately, it's too big. Measurements taken from Walmart's website:

Product in Inches (L x W x H): 17.0 x 22.0 x 23.5​

This is why I'm so frustrated with BA. The only car seat I can find that is less than 17.5" x 17.5" is the Diono Radian -- which weighs 27 lbs -- and the Combi Coccoro, both of which cost over $200.

oakster

If they mean that the absolute height of the seat can't be over 17.5" when measured at the gate, neither the Coccoro nor the Radian will work either. They are both taller than that; the shorter heights listed are the space they take up when rear-facing (when the backs are at an angle). I'm not sure there are any convertible seats that small (and I do think that BA allows reasonably sized seats--pretty sure my cousins have flown with both their seats in the cabin) so I would probably get the Scenera and then hope for the best. (And don't ask if it's okay to take on--just take it on unless someone stops you!)

Dillipop

I'd take a scenera next. It should be fine.

Just an FYI though- I don't think BA allows any child to rearface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllieK

Are the gate agents really going to get out a ruler and reject the Nextfit based on the 0.5"?? That seems very extreme to me.

storkbyte

Amazon has 1 Open Box Coccoro right now for $159.52.

Unfortunately, the Coccoro's measurements are less than 17.5" x 17.5" when RF only. BA requires all CRS to be FF. When the Coccoro is FF, the dimensions exceed the 17.5" x 17.5"

See my problem?

Also annoying because my SIL has just offered to lend me her spare Coccoro!

storkbyte

I'd take a scenera next. It should be fine.

Just an FYI though- I don't think BA allows any child to rearface.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right: BA requires all CRS to be FF because of the way the plane is designed to crumple in an accident. I read this on another forum from a dad who is an engineer, wish I could find the link. I was annoyed about having to FF until he described how the passenger behind the baby would fly into the back of the CRS, not into the baby.

I called Cosco today and their measurements for the Scenera are 21" d x 19" (without cupholder) x 22" h. I doubt very much that BA's flight attendants go around with tape measures (ha!) but that is enough of a difference that they might eyeball the seat and ask me to check it as luggage.

storkbyte

Are the gate agents really going to get out a ruler and reject the Nextfit based on the 0.5"?? That seems very extreme to me.

It's not 0.5" -- I wish!

I emailed Chicco who said the NextFit car seat dimensions are as follows: 20.5 x 19 x 26 inches (L X W X H)

So that's 3" and 1.5" greater than accepted by BA. Gah!

oakster

I got curious about this because I'm sure my cousins have brought their seats on BA before. The BA website clarifies that 17.5" x 17.5" is the area the seat needs to fit into on the seat itself--not the height or projection of the seat. I think the Twitter agent was just confused on its meaning, but it's quite clear on the website. The only other size requirement listed is that it not exceed the dimensions of the seat, but you'll be fine on that front. So either the NextFit (17"x14.5" base per the review on this site) or the Coccoro (smaller than that) should work fine--though if you have a Coccoro you can borrow, I'd take that for sure because it's so much lighter weight, more compact, and has the awesome Euro belt routing. We love traveling with ours.

http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/family-travel/getting-ready-to-fly

storkbyte

I'm back from my trip and thought I would update the thread for posterity.

I borrowed my MIL's Evenflo Titan and used it with no issues on the first three flights. Fairly easy to install, light to carry (I slung it over my shoulder, using one of the harness straps), and my DD slept for most of the 11 hours from California to London.

But on the final leg of my journey a flight attendant demanded I restrain my DD on my lap with a seat belt extension during take-off and landing. I argued that my car seat was approved for aircraft use, I bought DD her own seat, a CRS is safer, but no dice. I asked to see documentation, but she ignored me and went to get the customer services rep on board.

I was pretty upset, TBH. Unfortunately for me, because it was British Airways, the FAA documentation outlining my rights wouldn't apply. The CAA (UK equivalent of the FAA) does have something on their website:
“Infants under the age of two need to be secured whenever the seat belt sign is on. This can be achieved… by using a child restraint device i.e. car type seat...”

CAA: http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2207&pageid=12706

I don't know how the BA seat belt extension rates in safety compared to the CRS I brought, but I have written a letter of complaint and will post the response here if there's any interest.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC