18-month old in booster

all together ooky

Yesterday I was sitting outside and I saw a lady pull up to my neighbor's house. (My neighbor does daycare). The lady comes out with this tiny kid on her hip and then proceeds to put a highback booster in the back of her car and seatbelts the kid in. My heart is pounding by this time. She drives off.

Well, today I was out with my neighbor and I mentioned to her the Amazon sale (her kid is nearing 40lbs) and then I told her what I saw the day before.

She said that it really bothered her too. The kid is in foster care and the lady that picked her up was the county social worker! My neighbor couldn't believe that they wouldn't have appropriate carseats to pick up the kids.

Happy news...my neighbor is going to start respite care for the 18-month old so she's planning to buy a good carseat for her! Yahoo! :D

ADS

ThreeBeans

There is a social worker in my CPST class. He mentioned on Monday that he figures 95% of the people in his office don't have a clue about using carseats properly.

scatterbunny

My best friend's two kids are in foster care, and they have visits at my house once in awhile. Knowing I am a CPST (well, at the time I wasn't certified yet), they came to my house one day to show me (the mom and the worker) what another worker had done re: child restraints. The oldest, 7yo at the time and about 65 pounds, was in no booster at all, and the youngest, 3yo and about 35 pounds at the time, was in an older Century harnessed seat, installed totally wrong, with straps so loose I could stick BOTH MY ARMS between her body and the harness.

I explained to the worker what was wrong, and to my delight she ended up taking a 1-day CPS course taught by the state CPS program coordinator. :D She seems really committed to providing appropriate restraints for the kids, and even asked me for a list of good seats for the DHS office to purchase.

It's really sad that kids are taken away from families due to safety concerns, yet the DHS workers meant to keep them safe put them in serious danger on the road (probably statistically more risk than the homes they were living in, in some cases :( ).

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
My BFF was a foster care worker and the poor seats they had made her mad too. She pretty much said everything that's already been said by the others too.

Susan

seatchecker

Senior Community Member
I met a foster family at the office to give them seats for their new sibling group - the case worker pulled up with the kids while we were waiting. She had the "older" 2 in nothing (it was years ago - they were 3 and 5 maybe?) The youngest was in a front facing infant seat - a joyride with the recalled handle and the harness tied in a knot in the back I couldn't believe it. She had driven over an hour on the interstate like that to bring the children to their new home.

bake1856

The case workers here are required to take some kind of car seat class. My boys' worker knew most of what they told him because I had gone over it. It was nice to know he was really listening. They also have okay seats. I know that they pitch them when they expire.

karen

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC