need an Incognito but she's 55 lbs!

bnsnyde

Solve this puzzle and pick the best option.

Tall, skinny 7 YO in a tight 3 in a row with no headrest (new SUV). The only seat that gives her head support (as it's short enough) is the Incognito. But she's 55 lbs. (I am putting her in the middle since she's the shortest). All seats in the SUV full.

So it's that or I can send the Harmony Dreamtime HBB and hope it fits. I have my doubts as I tried all my narrow stuff when I had the vehicle to play with (I think it's an Equinox?). Grandma is on one side (she is wide) and 9 YO in Incognito on the other side. The Recaro Vivo was too wide, even.

It's a 3 hours drive on dangerous roads to a wedding party.

If I send the Dreamtime, dad and DD will have to see if it'll work once they get to Grandma's house (there won't be anyone there who really knows anything about carseats). My worry is that it will push older kid's Incognito into an awkward position, potentially. I had this issue when I was playing around with stuff. The other issue is Grandma might have no room to breathe. So we are in a tight spot, literally!

They are driving in together in this SUV.

ADS

jaemom

Would 9yo be able to use just the seat belt in the center? My kids aren't overly big but my now 10 and 11 yo 5 stepped in the center seats of my car and my ILs around age 9/10 before they could sit anywhere else without a booster.

bnsnyde

The center has no headrest so I don't think so. He just turned 9 and I don't have anyone there to test him for 5 stepping. He is 57 inches. Riding in a Recaro Performance booster up to Grandma's, which fits him great. His torso might be shorter than I would expect for his height.

They are on their way to Grandma's. They will call when they get there and I did send the Harmony to try for 7 YO in Grandma's car.

bnsnyde

DH put her in the Incognito.
I did tell him 2 or 3 times very specifically about trying the Harmony.

He said, what? I was supposed to try that?

They are going around town right now but tomorrow is the big trip.
Wish I could transport myself there momentarily to do try the other setup myself!

update: The Harmony works. :) I do wonder what the specific danger is for crash dynamics with a 55 lb kid. When I told him she was 5 lbs. too light I got a crazy reaction. And I didn't have anything specific to say. Is it just not tested or is there a specific danger I could have said? Good to know for the future, especially as many people have a "close enough" attitude.

Last edited:

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
DH put her in the Incognito.
I did tell him 2 or 3 times very specifically about trying the Harmony.

He said, what? I was supposed to try that?

They are going around town right now but tomorrow is the big trip.
Wish I could transport myself there momentarily to do try the other setup myself!

update: The Harmony works. :) I do wonder what the specific danger is for crash dynamics with a 55 lb kid. When I told him she was 5 lbs. too light I got a crazy reaction. And I didn't have anything specific to say. Is it just not tested or is there a specific danger I could have said? Good to know for the future, especially as many people have a "close enough" attitude.
I think 60 is because they are seriously shooting for the older kid market. I'd be ecstatic if they'd lower it to 55, as that is the 'average' weight of an 8 year old, and booster laws typically go to 8, so.... Though it's possible there's some wording in FMVSS that has some sort of weight limits or something and it has to be 60, I haven't read closely on the nitpicky parts of that law recently.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC