Fitting seats in a Dodge Grande Caravan

U

Unregistered

We have a 2012 Dodge Grande Caravan with two benches. I have two kids in Britax Parkway SG's and 1 in a Britax Frontier. The manual only refers to latched seats, so it isn't a lot of help when it comes to boosters.

If we put a Parkway in the 3rd row it sits crooked unless it's in the center position. In the center position, the belt pulls down from the roof and clips in two spots to form the lap belt portion (hope that makes sense). Is it safe to use this style of seat belt with a booster?

The other option is to put both Parkways in the center row, but because it's a bench seat, the seatbelt reaches from the floor, across, and blocks the entryway to the third row. An inconvenience, but doable.

What is best? Or are both options ok?

ADS

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Hi there,

If the Parkway is staying put and not tipping in the centre then it's fine to use the centre belt that comes down from the ceiling. Check that the shoulder belt is retracting well through the belt guide and not hanging up causing slack. You might find it fits well on the passenger side as that '40' part of the back bench is wider than the driver's side.

Where do you have the Frontier? Is it installed with lower anchors or the seat belt? It absolutely must be top tethered so I'm just thinking of where and how it might be installed and how to best arrange everyone for maximum convenience.

U

Unregistered

Hi there,

If the Parkway is staying put and not tipping in the centre then it's fine to use the centre belt that comes down from the ceiling. Check that the shoulder belt is retracting well through the belt guide and not hanging up causing slack. You might find it fits well on the passenger side as that '40' part of the back bench is wider than the driver's side.

Where do you have the Frontier? Is it installed with lower anchors or the seat belt? It absolutely must be top tethered so I'm just thinking of where and how it might be installed and how to best arrange everyone for maximum convenience.

The Frontier is in the middle row, inside position (passenger side door). It's FF, attached with latch and tethered. Both middle row positions have tether and one position in the back row has tether.

jaemom

Hi there,

It may depend on what style seat and parkway you have. We have. 2012 with stow and go seats and our older style parkway did not work outboard in the 3rd row because the belts got hung up in the guides.

U

Unregistered

Hi there,

The belt is retracting and fits well in the center position, third row. The Frontier is on the inside, 2nd row, FF, latch & top-tethered.

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The belt is retracting and fits well in the center position, third row. The Frontier is on the inside, 2nd row, FF, latch & top-tethered.

How much does the child in the Frontier weigh? Once you switch to a seat belt install at a child weight of 40lbs the seat belt will block access to the 3rd row.

I wonder if Frontier driver's side installed with the belt would be easier, with both boosters in the 3rd row. If the belt isn't retracting well, or the booster is tippy, there are seats that do work back there.

U

Unregistered

How much does the child in the Frontier weigh? Once you switch to a seat belt install at a child weight of 40lbs the seat belt will block access to the 3rd row.

I wonder if Frontier driver's side installed with the belt would be easier, with both boosters in the 3rd row. If the belt isn't retracting well, or the booster is tippy, there are seats that do work back there.

He fluctuates between 36 & 38, so the seat belt install in imminent. I will try the configuration you suggested. Thanks! :) Also going to try the Parkway backless in the 3rd row and see if that works for my oldest (less tippy). We just purchased the 2nd Parkway, so don't want to have to replace it with another seat. Will suck up the seat belt across the aisle if nothing else.

U

Unregistered

Me again...banging my head against a wall.

After a day of maneuvering seats, I officially detest my van.

So...here's my issue. With my son attached with belt and top tether he can go in either the front drivers or back middle. BUT...I can not put my boosters outboard in the back at all. I tried backless and with back for my oldest and it doesn't work. I also tried my oldest in the middle row, passenger side, but the HBB is so tall that it completely blocks my rear view mirror.

We returned my youngest to latch install, but that will only work short term as he's close to the 40lb mark.

Is there any booster that fits third row? Or a backless that would work middle row, passenger? The belt seems so wonky, that I just don't see anything working. It retracts in the HBB, but it twists a bit and I don't like it. Without the back, I don't love the position of the shoulder belt. It wants to slide down her shoulder. She has a very narrow frame.

Wishing we'd went with captains seats instead of a bench for the third row...ugh.

Mingie

CPST Instructor
The Evenflo Big Kid or AMP work outboard with the wonky belt geometry. Can you pop into a Toysrus and try one?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC