Airplane - car seat size?

Jan06twinmom

After a discussion about flying with children, my friend decided to take her car seats on a plane trip. This is the first time she is flying with her 3yo twins. She has the Alpha Omega Elite seats. She was told that her car seats were too big to use on the plane so she had to gate check them on both of her flights.

Has anyone had a problem with being told their seats were too large? I've flown with the Britax Decathlon, the old Evenflo Triumph (40lb limit) and the Sunshine Kids Radian without any issues. We usually fly on Canadair Regional planes from our airport.

From the information that I'm finding on the FAA circular, she should be able to use her car seats on the plane. Is there any other information she needs to document her ability to use the seats on the plane?

ADS

AllieK

What airline did your friend have trouble with? Was she told this at the gate or on the phone prior to flying?

One flight attendant on American tried to tell us our kids would be more comfortable without the car seats since the plane was so full and pressured DH to gate check them but that was it.

This article is super helpful: http://carseatblog.com/22134/flying-with-a-car-seat-know-your-rights/

It might have been overkill but I had the FAA circular printed and the pertinent sections highlighted. I also knew where the FAA approved sticker was on our car seats so I could quickly point it out.

Jan06twinmom

What airline did your friend have trouble with? Was she told this at the gate or on the phone prior to flying?

One flight attendant on American tried to tell us our kids would be more comfortable without the car seats since the plane was so full and pressured DH to gate check them but that was it.

This article is super helpful: http://carseatblog.com/22134/flying-with-a-car-seat-know-your-rights/

It might have been overkill but I had the FAA circular printed and the pertinent sections highlighted. I also knew where the FAA approved sticker was on our car seats so I could quickly point it out.

She was on United Airlines. She was told the seat was too big when she was at the gate.

Thanks for the link.

rachelandtyke

The seat was not too big as long as she could raise the armrest between her and the seat at the window. If it is FAA approved (and has the logo or wording on the sticker on the seat), it should be allowed on the plane. I think the bigger problem is that so few use seats on the plane that attendants aren't used to seeing them. I was ready for comments when I flew with DD2 last month and installed her RA50 rfing for both flights even though she is 2. No one said anything though. We have flown with our EFTA and TF, which are both hefty seats with no problems.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
:yeahthat: It could have been a problem if they had booked bulk head seats, but simply asking another passenger to move to those seats would have solved the problem. I don't know how that works, though, on an airline where you pay premiums for the seats you sit in. I only fly Southwest unless someone else is paying for it :D.

jjordan

The FAA requires that if a caregiver has purchased a seat for a child, then the child is allowed to use an FAA-approved child seat, and if the seat doesn't fit in the assigned location, then the airline needs to re-seat the child in a seat that does accommodate their restraint (if possible). Here is the pertinent document; check out 10.d and 10.f.

storkbyte

The FAA requires that if a caregiver has purchased a seat for a child, then the child is allowed to use an FAA-approved child seat, and if the seat doesn't fit in the assigned location, then the airline needs to re-seat the child in a seat that does accommodate their restraint (if possible). Here is the pertinent document; check out 10.d and 10.f.

But this is only for flights within the US, right? It doesn't apply to international carriers, right?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC