Need help keeping a tall 2 year old RF longer

natmcc

Help! We need a new car seat and want to keep ours RF as long as humanly possible. Here are the details:

1. 2 years old and weight: 31 lbs, height: 38 inches!!
2. Want to keep her rear facing
3. We live in U.S., Currently have a Peg Perego rear facing but she is on the verge of out growing and need a 2nd car seat anyway. We have 2015 Toyota highlander hybrid with captains chairs (no other car seats need to be in the car)
4. Was considering the A) Clek Fllo but have these concerns: 43 inch rear facing limit could be reached within a year or just past a year if she continues to grow on her current 99% growth curve, but I really like the anit rebound bar and high weight limit.
B) Graco 4ever but have these concerns: no anti rebound bar and the weight limit of 40 lbs may only get us about the same time as the Clek Fllo due to height limits.
(Tried the Diono and it won't fit in our car if we want anyone to sit in the seat in front of the car seat-- even with the angle adjuster)
Tried both the Clek Fllo and Graco 4Ever and they both fit.
Any suggestions? I think we will just have to roll the dice and see which she out grows first height or weight limit rear facing??

Thanks
natalie

ADS

bnsnyde

I went with the Clek Fllo for my tall new 2 YO (who weighs 33.5 lbs.) because the Graco one had the 40 lb. limit and I thought that was too low.

We tried that new Advance EX and it was too hard to use and so, so big. Just too big front to back even for most vehicles.

I always feel like I am guessing with heights and weights, too, which one will be outgrown first! Some of my kids are over 90% for height and weight, so who knows.

seb3244

I just got my average sized newly turned 3 yr old a fllo. I'll measure here and so you pics of her in it rear facing in a bit :)

natmcc

Thanks. I think it's just going to be a toss of the coin on which she outgrows first height or weight. She is the 99% for height and 75-90% for weight.

What do your kiddos 'think' of the Cleks? They feel like there is NO padding--- what I am asking is do they seem comfortable in their Cleks? We currently use a Peg Perego and it's not super cushy so I doubt she will notice the difference.

I hate being on this crazy train of the car seat guessing game but I am committed to keeping her RF and I really like the anit rebound bar feature on the Clek, too.

jwilliams

My 3yo has no complaints about her Clek. I agree that it feels hard, but I suppose it's different when you are toddler sized [emoji5] The fabric isn't even soft (it's the Thunder color Fllo). She would let me know if she didn't like it, for sure, and she has loved "my gray seat!" since we got it.

Kids who insist on being big all around are such a conundrum for car seats! My oldest had the decency to be tall, but short torsoed and light, so she fit RF in a Diono until she was well past 4.

ETA: regarding which way she outgrows the seat first, I would say get what you want and use it until it's outgrown, pat yourself on the back, and get a Frontier!

lgenne

I would say get what you want and use it until it's outgrown, pat yourself on the back, and get a Frontier!

Mostly this, although with those stats, my money would be on outgrowing by height before weight. Not a LOT of money, but some.

Also, not necessarily just a Frontier. You never know what will be on the market in a couple of years!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC