Need backup seat- must be easy to unbuckle

Mangosink

In my car, DD 4.75 yrs 33lbs rides in the Chicco Next Fit. She can't unbuckle herself. I am obsessed with kids being accidentally left in the car. My totally trustworthy parents will be caring for her while I'm out of town for a few days. I have tried and tried to teach her how to unbuckle herself and she can't figure out the crotch strap. Because my parents also pick her up from school sometimes, and could benefit from having their own carseat rather than having to move my NextFit, and to calm my paranoid fear of her being forgotten/trapped in a car while I'm out of town (my parents think I'm crazy ;) they are super responsible and conscientious).

So....recommendations for a seat that is easy to unbuckle, is on the less expensive side (but this isn't a must -- I'll pay if there's a seat that is so great I have to have it. ;)) and will eventually convert to a booster seat if DD ever weighs over 40lbs. LOL. Which may never happen, she's such a peanut! I will keep her in the 5 point harness as long as possible.

ADS

jwilliams

Is she verbal? Because I really don't think you need to worry about a FF, verbal 4.75yo being left in the car.

I do agree about getting a second seat instead of moving yours. You basically have your pick since she's a peanut, aiming she isn't particularly tall. You could take a look at the combination seats on this list : http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogcoms-recommended-car-seats/

Good job waiting on the booster until she weighs more!

Mangosink

Is she verbal? Because I really don't think you need to worry about a FF, verbal 4.75yo being left in the car.

She is verbal, but very quiet. I have 4 kids, so sometimes the chaos of the others drowns out any noise from her. ;) I have even left her out in the car in our driveway before on accident. I remembered a few minutes later, and it terrifies me to think what would have happened had I not remembered, or if it had of been a hotter day.

AllieK

What about a Buckle Bopper? Have you tried that? If she's having trouble with the crotch buckle I don't think you are going to find one that is much different. We have Britax, Graco, Evenflo and Safety 1st seats all with the same crotch buckle.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mangosink

What about a Buckle Bopper? Have you tried that? If she's having trouble with the crotch buckle I don't think you are going to find one that is much different. We have Britax, Graco, Evenflo and Safety 1st seats all with the same crotch buckle.
Posted via Mobile Device

How would you make sure the buckle bopper was always with the seat? If the child was left in the car, they couldn't get to the bopper.
Posted via Mobile Device

rin2809

I agree that getting a seperate seat for the grandparents is probably a good idea. If she isn't really tall, I would say maybe a Maestro wouldbe a good choice. The downside of something newI for a trip coming up soon is that the buckle may be more stiff than she would be used to.

The buckle bopper may be a good tool for the time being. Maybe in the cup holder? Makes me glad my 2.5 year old is so loud (never thought I'd say that). Every time we stop he yells "can I come too?" Pretty sure I could never forget him... Ever!
Posted via Mobile Device

Take her to Babies R Us and see if she can escape from an Evenflo Maestro. Make sure it has the new, not recalled buckle. I find Evenflo buckles easier to undo than IMMI buckles (what is on Chicco, Britax, Graco, Clek, etc)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC