The best van/suv for 5 kids?

frugalmom

Here is the info

I currently drive a Dodge Grand Caravan (2008)
I have four kids right now, a new one due in 2 months.

Kids
9 Years old
7 years old
4 (almost 5) years old
2 (almost 3) years old
Newborn

We are looking for a new car. I am open to anything. Minivan, Suv, bigger van.

What are my best bets in your eyes?
Also configuration of seats? I would love to have 3 across in the back but i can't find a way to do it.

Does anyone know of any 3 across in the back combos I could make work?
How about 3 across in the back of Dodge? Is that possible?

Is the 3 rd row wider in any other minivan or suv?

I have been thinking of a Honda Minivan, but I am still not thinking I will have luck with the configuration. If i have the 3 littlest kids in the 2nd row, how will i access the 3rd row?

Please help me out. This is so stressful.

ADS

lgenne

With 5 or 6 kids, the Odyssey (2011+, if you're looking for used) is the way to go if it's in your budget. If not, we can make other suggestions if we know what your budget is.

What are the sizes of your kids, and what kinds of car seats are they in?

lgenne

Oh, and it's probably possible to get 5 kids safely in your current vehicle. It'll probably be inconvenient and uncomfortable for some of the kids, but manageable if you really can't or don't want to spend the money for something new.

frugalmom

With 5 or 6 kids, the Odyssey (2011+, if you're looking for used) is the way to go if it's in your budget. If not, we can make other suggestions if we know what your budget is.

What are the sizes of your kids, and what kinds of car seats are they in?

9 year old in a Frontier 55 inches
7 year old in a frontier
4 year old RF in a Dino
2 year old RF in a keyfit

My budget is pretty open. Looking at both new and used.

frugalmom

Oh, and it's probably possible to get 5 kids safely in your current vehicle. It'll probably be inconvenient and uncomfortable for some of the kids, but manageable if you really can't or don't want to spend the money for something new.

With what seats and how?

6lilbits

I currently have 5 in a town and country which is pretty much the same car as the caravan.
In the back row, I have:
Turboboosters, Bubblebum, turboboosters for my 5, 9 and 7 year olds respectively. In the 2 captains chairs, I gave 2 year old in Graco Fit4Me and newborn in Graco Milestone. This currently works but not comfortably. As the kids get bigger this just won't work well. We are getting an odyssey 2011 for the 8 passenger seating. It is so roomy and the 3rd row is way easier to work with than caravan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JessiF

I am pretty much in your exact situation (expecting #5) and my other kids are almost the same exact ages as yours!

So I appreciate your question. I have been obsessively looking into this. My Grand Caravan is on its way out.

I test drove a Nissan NVP last night and liked it. Although it was VERY high off the ground, the drive was super smooth and it was surprisingly easy to drive and turn. Hard to park, but I'm sure I could improve with practice.

My husband didn't like it (he didn't drive it though). He thinks it's ridiculously large and he wouldn't be able to drive it. Frankly I think the price really scares him off. They are nearly impossible to find used and we aren't willing to pay almost $40,000 for a new one.

So it looks like for now we'll get a used Sienna. We looked at one today that was a 2010 7-passenger and I actually liked it more than I thought. (FYI there are 8-passenger versions available and from 2006-2010 they say the added middle seat is actually usable). So we'll probably go with that, then reevaluate once the new baby is here and we're all packed into it.

If we find it doesn't work we can resell it and maybe find a used NVP at that time. Even though the high-up NVP driving experience was new to me, I realized today when I tried the Sienna that I really liked that high-up view of the road. Plus I think there could be benefits to loading all the kids (especially a baby and a special-needs preschooler) all in on the same side of the van.

Anyway, I know this isn't exactly the real-world experience you are looking for but maybe my search for a solution contributes a little to your search. I'll be watching this thread for great info too!

jjordan

If I had 5 kids and were getting a new-to-me vehicle, my top choice would probably be a 2011+ Odyssey. A 2010 Sienna is also a really good option. The newer Sedonas also look really nice, and I think there is an 8-passenger version of that, although to be honest I haven't been paying much attention since we aren't currently in the market for a new car. :) Basically, a minivan that is not Dodge/Chrysler is probably going to be a good bet.

frugalmom

I am pretty much in your exact situation (expecting #5) and my other kids are almost the same exact ages as yours!

So I appreciate your question. I have been obsessively looking into this. My Grand Caravan is on its way out.

I test drove a Nissan NVP last night and liked it. Although it was VERY high off the ground, the drive was super smooth and it was surprisingly easy to drive and turn. Hard to park, but I'm sure I could improve with practice.

My husband didn't like it (he didn't drive it though). He thinks it's ridiculously large and he wouldn't be able to drive it. Frankly I think the price really scares him off. They are nearly impossible to find used and we aren't willing to pay almost $40,000 for a new one.

So it looks like for now we'll get a used Sienna. We looked at one today that was a 2010 7-passenger and I actually liked it more than I thought. (FYI there are 8-passenger versions available and from 2006-2010 they say the added middle seat is actually usable). So we'll probably go with that, then reevaluate once the new baby is here and we're all packed into it.

If we find it doesn't work we can resell it and maybe find a used NVP at that time. Even though the high-up NVP driving experience was new to me, I realized today when I tried the Sienna that I really liked that high-up view of the road. Plus I think there could be benefits to loading all the kids (especially a baby and a special-needs preschooler) all in on the same side of the van.

Anyway, I know this isn't exactly the real-world experience you are looking for but maybe my search for a solution contributes a little to your search. I'll be watching this thread for great info too!

Yay, someone else in the same boat!
It does help out a lot.
I have been looking at the NV too. I haven't driven one yet.
I know it seems like overkill when you "only" have 5 kids. But I mean I know a lot of people who have one or 2 kids with a mini.

But I think there are some cons of the NV too, from what I have read. The MPG is much lower than a mini. From what I gather 14 in the city and 19 highway.
It wont fit in my garage. Which stinks since I live in the Midwest.
It might not fit in parking garages or things like that.
I have actually seen some used ones listed for decent prices. I mean I think. Under 30,000

There is also a Ford Transit. That you can get in 8, 10, and 12 passenger models.

And then of course the big SUVS like the Suburban or the like. Have you looked into those or thought of them?

Argh. I have to decide pretty quickly.

Thank you for your input.
Let me know what you end up doing.

bnsnyde

5 kids was awesome in our Odyssey 2011. Now we have 6, 3 in a row.

We had 3 across the 2nd row and shoved the kids in back through the trunk. Ours are now 9, 7, 6, 4, 2 and newborn so since we have some booster riders, it's much easier.

A Clek backless outboard 2nd row can even stay latched AND allow you to move the seat forward for 3rd row access. My 6 YO uses this seat.

I go into the 3rd row to buckle my 4 YO back there. It is not hard BUT when pregnant my belly would always get stuck. Now it's fine.

agent220

I have an 06 Sienna with 6 kids in it, all boostered/harnessed. If I couldn't find that generation of Siennas, I'd look at the newer Odysseys, since Toyota ruined the family friendly model they had.

We're getting a Nissan NVP though now since we need a second car.
I would not buy one unless you are really outgrowing a minivan in the next year or two as 1)more used ones will appear on the market -- right now the used market is pretty sparse with prices similar to new ones :/ 2)the cost of gas for a couple extra years is enormous vs a more fuel efficient minivan. You can always buy a used minivan and resell if you do need to upgrade down the road, but it's a waste in my opinion to jump to a big van if you really don't need one yet.

The minivans you are looking at are very family friendly in terms of storage and convenience and should fit what you need. We never needed a luggage carrier even on long trips with our 6 kids. We put carry ons under their feet and had decent trunk space.

I drove an SUV with my 6 kids for a couple of weeks and would not recommend it as sliding doors are just so much more convenient, not having to worry about kids hitting cars next to them. Climbing into the third row was also a huge pain. Gas mileage was also not as good. I just don't see it being the most practical choice.

MamaBird06

If I had 5 kids and were getting a new-to-me vehicle, my top choice would probably be a 2011+ Odyssey. A 2010 Sienna is also a really good option. The newer Sedonas also look really nice, and I think there is an 8-passenger version of that, although to be honest I haven't been paying much attention since we aren't currently in the market for a new car. :) Basically, a minivan that is not Dodge/Chrysler is probably going to be a good bet.

yes the sedona does now have an 8 passenger and they are beautifut, but they are costly 38-40,000. My fiancee works at a kia dealorship and he says they are nice! I told him there is no way we can afford that price, so if we go for an 8 passenger I will look at an older sienna or oddessy. He wants a kia since he works there but we may not have that option.

We are in the same dilemma. We have 4 and #5 is on the way. Needing boosters in the 3 across. We have an 09 sedona now and 2 of the 4 are harnessed until baby arrives. I do not know how that will work...we are both a little on edge about it actually lol.

jjordan

yes the sedona does now have an 8 passenger and they are beautifut, but they are costly 38-40,000. My fiancee works at a kia dealorship and he says they are nice! I told him there is no way we can afford that price, so if we go for an 8 passenger I will look at an older sienna or oddessy. He wants a kia since he works there but we may not have that option.

We are in the same dilemma. We have 4 and #5 is on the way. Needing boosters in the 3 across. We have an 09 sedona now and 2 of the 4 are harnessed until baby arrives. I do not know how that will work...we are both a little on edge about it actually lol.

Our 08 Sedona can fit 5, thought it is a little tricky to get 3 in the back seat, especially if you're set on doing all boosters. What are the kids' ages and weights? What seats do you already have? When is #5 due?

aguafresca

You can get a new 8 passenger Sedona for less than that! We bought a new 2015 Sedona in May (LX plus convenience package) for $31k total. It has the eighth seat, power doors, but no leather. Maybe you're only considering models with leather? I live in a very high cost of living part of the US if that matters.

Since I'm here, I'll add that I've gotten six kids in the back of my Sedona several times now. It's been easier than I've expected! We've done:

Third row: Parkway SGL (6 year old), backless booster center (not sure which one as it was a friend's) (6 year old), RF Scenera40 (2 year old).

Middle row: Harnessed Frontier90 (4 year old), Radian65 center (4 year old), RF TrueFit Premiere (1 year old).

The big kids just climbed over the middle row to get to the back. I loaded and unloaded the 2 year old through the trunk. It was a bit tricky for the big kids to buckle themselves in, but it worked out.

I really like my '15 Sedona.

tablefor9

We drove a Honda Odyssey from two kids up to six kids. It was great and I wish I could still drive it. We traded it in for a 12 passenger long ford transit (15 passenger length with just 12 seats). The transit is nice and we get decent mileage, 15.5-16.5 around town with the a/c on and 20-21 all highway with no air conditioning. We looked at the Nissan big vans but the mileage was awful and there wasn't much cargo space. We looked at sprinters too and while I really liked them not every dealer services them so we'd have to drive 100+ miles each way if anything needed repairs. The transit is nice but it only has three seats with latch, the four seat fourth row has narrow seats, and it drives like a ups truck.

MamaChirpy

I can tell you that the Ford Expedition EL with the 8 passenger seating is THE EASIEST vehicle I have ever installed seats in. I do believe you could install ANY seats in that vehicle. My aunt has one and I used it for a day trip. It was awesome. The middle, middle seat slides up closer just like in the Odyssey.

Mama to 4 little stair steps
www.chirpylove.wordpress.com

equilibrium

We are looking for a used van as our caravan is also on it's way out. I hate this thing. We have 4 kids but 1 is out of seats entirely (13, 160lbs, tall). Two kids in boosters and one FF harnessed seat. Regularly transport my niece who is also in a booster, and sometimes my older niece who is 12...I just am curious if you can put a FF seat in the 8th seat in an Odyssey but move the seats to get to the back?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC