Question What should you do--5 y.o. twins & new baby

chelsi82

I'm not sure if I'm in the correct sub forum, but anyway... :)

Our twins are 4 years.11mos, and petite...42", 34 & 35 lbs. They ride in Argoses in the van and FF Truefit Premieres (an inch or so till outgrown) in hubbys expedition--we drive long distances in both pretty regularly. Our plan has always been keep seats the same until they outgrow the TFP'S or TFP'S expire (1/2017) and then go to hbb in that car.....
Enter surprise baby due Feb, and we are torn on what to do/budget for.... We aren't crazy about bucket seats, and Im not crazy about my tiny people going into boosters, even though I *said* 5 y.o. would be fine with me :)

What would you do? :).
A) get a cybex booster/other booster nowish & pass on tfp's to newborn
B) purchase Defenders or Argoses for the twins, pass on TFP's to newborn
C) buy something totally different for the baby & replace the big kids' tfp with boosters eventually as needed

Anything I missed? :)

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hello!

I like option C. :)

If your TFP's had just a bit more time (a year or two) on them prior to expiration, I would pass them down to your baby and would recommend buying your twins new combination seats (such as the Argos). Then you could pass your new baby the Argos seats and could buy your twins dedicated boosters. However, because the TFP's will expire in April 2017, that wouldn't work.

If you didn't use the seats in one car often, I would get boosters for that car and would just move the Argos seats to the needed vehicle on the rare occasion they are needed for a long trip. However, since you said you use both vehicles often, that wouldn't work well.

Lemonade

I basically agree with patriot. Keep them harnessed for now. Run out the clock on those TFPs and then see where you are with size and age. The Argoses will have 6 years expiration on the harness and 9 years on the booster so you probably won't be able to use those for the new baby unless they are relatively new. You may as well convert those to boosters as needed and then get a second set of dedicated boosters when the TFPs expire or are outgrown. The turbo booster as target is fairly budget friendly and fits smaller kids well. They also have a version that latches if that interests you. The baby can just be bought for separately. If you need to fit 3 across in either vehicle, you can look for narrow seats that will allow you to do that. I know you're not a fan of buckets but with 3 kids you may end up loving a bucket if it allows baby to sleep while you get the older kids where they need to be. I definitely appreciated the bucket much more for kid #2 and mourned the outgrowing of it.

aept

I agree I would reconsider the bucket idea. There is probably a lot more running around and getting in and out of the car for errands and activities now that you will have school-aged children. Plus it's only one seat (and maybe an extra base) to buy for now.
When your baby outgrows the bucket, like a year or year and a half from now, the twins will likely be ready to move on from the TFPs and the baby can use those until they expire. Then reconsider what the baby/toddler will need at that time.

chelsi82

Hello!

I like option C. :)

If your TFP's had just a bit more time (a year or two) on them prior to expiration, I would pass them down to your baby and would recommend buying your twins new combination seats (such as the Argos). Then you could pass your new baby the Argos seats and could buy your twins dedicated boosters. However, because the TFP's will expire in April 2017, that wouldn't work.

If you didn't use the seats in one car often, I would get boosters for that car and would just move the Argos seats to the needed vehicle on the rare occasion they are needed for a long trip. However, since you said you use both vehicles often, that wouldn't work well.
My dilemma exactly lol!

chelsi82

I agree I would reconsider the bucket idea. There is probably a lot more running around and getting in and out of the car for errands and activities now that you will have school-aged children. Plus it's only one seat (and maybe an extra base) to buy for now.
When your baby outgrows the bucket, like a year or year and a half from now, the twins will likely be ready to move on from the TFPs and the baby can use those until they expire. Then reconsider what the baby/toddler will need at that time.
My concern with a bucket seat is that I hate them lol. Even with twins... We borrowed a bucket till K fit the tfp properly, and promptly gave it right back when she could after 6 weeks.... We will definitely give it some thought though ..

chelsi82

I feel like I should hashtag "first world problems" or something lol... With the girls, we had one TFP per kid which my parents gifted us--Convertible almost from birth, and moved seats around only when needed (or when my car broke down) because we only had one A/C car. Now, we have 2 decent cars that we can drive without fear in crappy interstate traffic & 2 carseats per kid... If they hadn't discontinued the TFP, this wouldn't be an issue.....I would just buy another one lol. I <3 <3 <3 those seats... The fabric, the fit after newborn stage, the easy install with old cars (we also own a classic Volvo), ARB!! I found them for $170 each and aside from the 6 weeks mentioned above, they've been used almost exclusively until last Christmas when we got the Argoses.
Decisions, decisions... :)

cookie123

Congrats on your upcoming new arrival!

You don't say if you will be needing 3 across in either vehicle. If you do, the seats you have may not work. Something to consider.

I agree with option 3, if that can work in your vehicles. Be aware in a 3 across buckling boosters gets tricky. Doing up harnesses is much easier. If your twins aren't doing that now, get them learning!

I am a bucket fan.:) But yes, consider the fact that it might be easier with other kids in the mix. Although if you've done it with twins, it's probably a non issue. Also, it will be winter which can make it nice to buckle up in the warmth of the house and not putting baby in a freezing cold seat.

Here's a link to carseatblog's recommended seat list. It might give you an idea for what could work. I believe most entries state if it's a feasible seat for a newborn in the convertible section.

http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogcoms-recommended-car-seats/

bnsnyde

I would get an infant bucket but if you don't like them, then a convertible could be used, sure.

I'd look into a Sure Ride for the twins, possibly. They would last...

rachelandtyke

I loved our TFs for forward facing seats! Unless you need space for puzzling three across, I would keep the twins in the Argos and TFPs until the TFPs expire. By then the twins will be almost 6 1/2, which is often an age when children are ready to be boostered full time, and you can find good dedicated boosters that fit them well to replace the TFPs.

Picking a seat for baby will partly depend on your needs and family life. It's fine if you don't like buckets, but do consider what your day to day life will be like. The Coccoro is a smaller convertible that fits most from birth but can also be removed easily (and they did sell a frame for it for a while, not sure if they still do?) that might provide the provide the best of both worlds.

DD1 used a bucket until 13 months, but after the first few months it hardly left the car, and I used baby carriers. With my 2nd, we hardly used the bucket at all, and I put him in a baby carrier most of the time from birth. We moved to a convertible at 6 months when he finally fit the one we had. My 3rd stayed in a bucket for 18 months because life was so much busier and on the go and crazy with 3 kids (and one being school aged) than it had been with just 1 or 2 for us. Didn't help that she hated baby carriers until after her 2nd birthday, and I had many styles to choose from!

chelsi82

Congrats on your upcoming new arrival!

You don't say if you will be needing 3 across in either vehicle. If you do, the seats you have may not work. Something to consider.

I agree with option 3, if that can work in your vehicles. Be aware in a 3 across buckling boosters gets tricky. Doing up harnesses is much easier. If your twins aren't doing that now, get them learning!

I am a bucket fan.:) But yes, consider the fact that it might be easier with other kids in the mix. Although if you've done it with twins, it's probably a non issue. Also, it will be winter which can make it nice to buckle up in the warmth of the house and not putting baby in a freezing cold seat.

Here's a link to carseatblog's recommended seat list. It might give you an idea for what could work. I believe most entries state if it's a feasible seat for a newborn in the convertible section.

http://carseatblog.com/carseatblogcoms-recommended-car-seats/
Thanks!

chelsi82

I think we solved it !!! My bff's keyfit30 expires 8/2016--the only person I know/trust to not abuse a seat-- so I'll use that till expiration, at which point will be big kids' 6th bd. They'll get hbbs if they haven't already & baby will get TFPs for 4-5 months till expiration .... And then get his/her very own new seat with ARB to rf till at least 3. WHEW!!!

Thanks for your ideas/suggestions!!!

aept

Sounds great! You can spread out your purchases a little bit.
I think you will be happy to buy your baby a new convertible that will be long-lasting for RF once he/she is past the newborn stage. I was shopping for a convertible while pregnant for my current baby (before we settled on a bucket) and it was hard to find something that worked for a newborn and worked in my car and was good for ERF. It's part of why I went for a bucket. Now that she is here and with all the kid-activity driving we do I am glad for the bucket, which we have also used baseless in our smaller car a few times.

chelsi82

Glad you came up with a solution! We had a Keyfit 30 for DD2 and loved it. Best infant bucket we've ever used!
I've helped t bff install most of her seats at one point or another-- in fact 2 of hers they bought from us (I did home daycare for awhile) and I really really like the keyfit....
Infant seats aren't worth the extra expense to me (call me crazy) although I'm perfectly happy to "use up remaining life" on one <3
We made it through crazy west tx winter with twins, convertibles & Columbia thin fleece snowsuit things... And a good stroller. This will be a welcome change :)

CMeMeC

My concern with a bucket seat is that I hate them lol. Even with twins... We borrowed a bucket till K fit the tfp properly, and promptly gave it right back when she could after 6 weeks.... We will definitely give it some thought though ..

I hate them. I hated mine more with the third kid than I did the first. I just find them bulky and in the way. I needed my hands! Baby was in a Moby wrap a lot and I only used a bucket until he fit in his true fit. If it were me, I would get a scenera next for the baby and reevaluate when the true fits are outgrown or expired.

Sorry, didn't read all the previous posts. Your solution works, too.

bnsnyde

I love my bucket, but I guess each situation is different! LOL. Serious infant seat lover here.

I get nervous thinking about not having a bucket. I HATE when they outgrow it and got this one a Graco 40 so he could be in it until as close to 2 as possible. (It's so tall everyone said he looked like a preemie at 8 lbs.) :)

The main thing is winter. I don't want to have to put baby in a coat everytime we go out, and then take it off when we get inside. Zipping the fleece cover up and down is so much easier for me, and I figure safer since no coat (even though I use thin as possible like fleece).

And we are in and out of the car for short trips all day long. Having to wake baby every time, strap in and out, would be very hard! I like the carry handle. Takes 2 seconds and baby is secured in car.

Glad you found a seat that'll work for you, for now!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC