Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

new here, i have a 3 and 5 year old! 5 pt seat for 8 year old?

hello!
    i just registered, i have a 3 yr old (30 lbs) in a graco 65 and a 5 yr old (40 lbs/47 in) in a safety first. both are in 5 point harness. which by my surprise is not the norm! most of my 3 yr old friends are in high back boosters and most of my 5 yr olds in regular booster/not highback.
    i plan on keeping them in a 5 pt until they are 7/8. many friends are suggesting for me to put my daughter (5) into a booster and i just get looks for saying absolutely not!
    i have had a hard time finding a new carseat for my daughter (it expires next summer, good for 6 years even though it is rated until 100 lbs) but she is pretty tall and i need help deciding what to get! i want to get a seat that allows her to be tall and restraint until 8. having a hard time finding info online

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Is there a reason you think she wouldn't sit properly in a booster? Age 5 is when children start to be ready for a booster in terms of maturity.

For now- what seat is it? Are her shoulders below the top harness slot?

The godkids are growing!
    J 9/09 and J&A 1/15

Re: new here, i have a 3 and 5 year old! 5 pt seat for 8 year old?

Hello! Welcome!!

At 5 it depends on maturity weather or not to booster. It's perfectly safe a long as they know how to sit correctly 100% of the time. My older children could. My 5 yr old son does well in my DH van because it's usually just them. In my van, it's party time and he's stays harnessed due to all the distractions, lol.
    I don't like harnessing big kids unless needed because of the neck load issues.
    Kelley- mom of seven!

CPS Fanatic

My tall child fit harnessed in the Britax Frontier90 as of last year and he was 8 years old. For a tall child, I'd go with that for sure. It will last! Plus, you can hand it down. And the child will stay in position in such a seat, can sleep, etc. It has its advantages. It took some effort to tighten and was hard to reach the harness button, so there are always a few quirks.

We had to fit everybody and allow kids to exit the van (another mom of 6), etc., which is why the new 6 YO is in a Clek backless. I would never choose that if I had more space and options, though. It does have rigid latch, which I love.

I should add I also didn't want to harness so long anymore due to (potential) neck load issues. But I'm all for high-back boosters as long as possible. Our 9-year-old uses the Recaro Performance booster in the spare car, where it fits. But for age 5 or 6 I feel a harness is a good option for sure!
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

Hi and welcome to car-seat.org! Glad you registered. It's easier for us to keep up!

The others have covered what I would have said/asked, so I'll just leave it at that.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Welcome!
    I can't think of many 6 year old Safety 1st seats your older daughter hasn't already outgrown except *maybe* the Apex. Can you double check the HARNESS weight limit (it will be 40, 50, 65, or 70 lbs, but never 100; 100 would be booster mode only) and also let us know what seat it is and the date of manufacture? That will help us determine how urgent it is to get her a new seat.
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Tall 8 year old in Incognito; Petite 3 year old RF in CA65

8. Thank You from:

Also, don't be scared by the neck-load talk. The safety risk is entirely theoretical and there are benefits also. There is NO consensus or meaningful data available to tell us whether a 40 lb 5 year old is safer in a harness or a booster. Some of us prefer to harness as long as the child fits (and that's the official NHTSA recommendation for kids 4 through 7) and others prefer to booster as soon as the child seems ready and is at least (insert arbitrary age over 4) years old. It's entirely up to you. As long as the seat is used correctly either option is very very safe.
    Mom to 2 adults and 2 little kids.
    Tall 8 year old in Incognito; Petite 3 year old RF in CA65

10. Thank You from:

Carseat Crazy

If the seat expires next summer when your child is 6, I'd get a good hbb.

Can also look at the Diono/Radian.
    ds1 16.5
    dd1 13
    dd2 10.5
    ds2 5 Graco Milestone FF

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by HIMom View Post
    hello!
    i just registered, i have a 3 yr old (30 lbs) in a graco 65 and a 5 yr old (40 lbs/47 in) in a safety first. both are in 5 point harness. which by my surprise is not the norm! most of my 3 yr old friends are in high back boosters and most of my 5 yr olds in regular booster/not highback.
    i plan on keeping them in a 5 pt until they are 7/8. many friends are suggesting for me to put my daughter (5) into a booster and i just get looks for saying absolutely not!
    i have had a hard time finding a new carseat for my daughter (it expires next summer, good for 6 years even though it is rated until 100 lbs) but she is pretty tall and i need help deciding what to get! i want to get a seat that allows her to be tall and restraint until 8. having a hard time finding info online
    Britax frontier is probably your best bet. My personal comfortable level for a booster seat is 5 years and 40lbs.
    C: 12/06, maui PW
    M: 02/08, carbon vivo
    C: 12/10, RF sporty blue TF