Need small seat for big toddler

diaperjoys

We have three kids across the third row of our Odyssey. 12yo and 11yo kiddos are outboard, and the 18mo toddler is rf in the middle. We need a new seat for the 18 month old.

The trick is, the big kids cannot access their seats if the baby's seat is too big front to back, and if the seat is too wide, they cannot buckle. This baby is truly big - always above the 95th percentile for both height and weight.

I'd love to purchase a convertible that would get her to booster age, but I'm having a difficult time finding something.

Our captain's seats are set up outboard, with the 9yo and 7yo riding in boosters. The big kids go through the center, squeeze past the baby seat, and settle into their spots on either side of the baby. All in all the setup works really, really well. The kids that need a little space have the space that promotes peace, and everyone is riding safely.

What seats should I consider?

ADS

lgenne

What convertible is the toddler in right now? What are your rear facing goals? Budget?

Going with the assumption that you want to get past 40 pounds, I would look at the Radian RXT or R120. The other one to look at is the Clek Fllo or Foonf.

If those are out of your budget, or if 40 pounds is likely to be enough to meet your rear facing goals, there are other options, too.

diaperjoys

What convertible is the toddler in right now? What are your rear facing goals? Budget?

Going with the assumption that you want to get past 40 pounds, I would look at the Radian RXT or R120. The other one to look at is the Clek Fllo or Foonf.

If those are out of your budget, or if 40 pounds is likely to be enough to meet your rear facing goals, there are other options, too.

Cleck and Foonf are too spendy. I think a 40 lb seat will take us until 3.5 years, which should be okay, provided it isn't outgrown by height. 45 lbs. would be safer, and permit me to keep her rear facing longer if it worked better for the car configuration.

diaperjoys

Can you push the second row seats forward, so the big kids go behind the second row seats?

It can be done. However, because there are boosters in those seats, and the seat belts are in the booster slots, it isn't very convenient to have the kids get in that way.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
What about a Radian? If it's too big front-to-back you could use an angle adjuster?

bnsnyde

We have 3 in each row of our Odyssey (2011).

We use the Clek backless outboard second row and EVEN with rigid latch it's possible to move the seat forward, so 3 can climb into the back.

I found the Evenflo Sure Ride a good choice for the middle back there. It's narrow and my 7 and 9 YO in boosters on either side can still buckle (barely). Now, my Sure Ride is FF and I know that seat is NOT small RF. But when you do go FF, keep it in mind. It's also low so you can see out the back (and fits a LOOOONG time; my 4 YO is 95% for height and weight)! But for RF I might go with a Diono because they are low profile.
The Clek convertibles are so high (at least FF) that's I'd hate to have a big blind spot (if I don't have to).

(Our Recaro Performance Sport can go outboard 2nd row but the 6 YO usually just uses the Clek because otherwise moving the Recaro and unthreading the belt is a huge process.

So, to summarize, if I were you I'd probably get a Diono for RF IF it's not too big back to front. Then see how that goes and if need be switch to Sure Ride for FF eventually (my kid was out of the Diono style seats at 3.5 as the headrest kept slipping down and making it go below his shoulders, so FF I did not get much use out of it.) I'd go for the Diono FF too as long as it fits the child, but then keep Sure Ride in mind. It's narrow but not as narrow as the Diono.

lgenne

How much are you looking to spend?

If neither Diono nor Clek is in budget, I think you're limited to 40 pounds. The only other convertibles with 45-50 pound weight limits for rear facing would not work well in your situation.

There are 2 ways I would think about going in your situation:

1) Shoot for 40 pounds, regardless of her height. One of the Graco "clones" (MySize, Size4Me, Fit4Me) might work. I would avoid the similar Headwise, given your space constraints. The Contender is similar and cheaper, but has fewer recline options, and those options might come in very handy.
2) Go cheap, and get something that works for now, even if it doesn't really get her to 40 pounds, because who knows what details will change in the next 18ish months. The Scenera NEXT would likely work well for you right now.

It's likely that she'll outgrow the Scenera NEXT around 3 and the clones around 3.5 for RF.

In 18 months, there may be a fantastic, budget friendly, compact, high weight, tall convertible on the market. Or there may not. Or you may have a different vehicle, etc.

Assuming that the clones are within your budget, I would probably try one. If you like it, I'd go for it. If not, the Scenera NEXT is a fantastic little "kick the can down the road a ways" $44 car seat even for really big kids. My off the charts long 8 month old is in one, because it just works well for us right now.

diaperjoys

Thought I'd update... We purchased a Blvd CT, and it is working beautifully for our tricky spot. It doesn't take up any more space than the Roundabout 55 which it is replacing. The big boys can fit past it to get to their seats, it installs very easily, and is easy to buckle/unbuckle. We couldn't be more pleased!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC