Question used mini van help

jheimes

I need help researching which minivan might be a good fit for our growing family. I prefer 8 passenger, but am open to 7 since I know I options will be limited with our budget of no more than $12,000. We will have 5 kids. 2 RF (one in bucket for now). 2 FF and one in either a low back booster or saferider harness. I need a van that can grow with us. I can't load from back because we always have a double stroller back there that kids would risk breaking trying to climb over. One FF and booster user can buckle themselves, but 2 RF and 1 FF need help.

ADS

jheimes

I found some 2006-2008 Honda Odyssey 8 pass in our price range. How do the extra middle seats work? can the 2 buckets be slid together if mid seat is removed? how are the seat belt installs in 3rd row? seat belts appear to be forward of bight in pics.
how are 2007-08 Toyota Siennas for fitting carseats - 8 passenger models?
Does kia make an 8 passenger model or one where middle seats slide together?

jheimes

My carseat/kid stats aren't updated on my profile/signature.
almost 10 yr in saferider vest or backless booster about 52" tall and 56 lbs.
7 yr in Graco (4 something in name) clone to 70 lbs, kiddo about 46" tall and 48lb. does not do well in booster yet unless for short rides.
4 yr 39" 34 lb FF radian with head wings
2 yr 36" 33 lb RF graco clone (similiar to 7 yrs, but diff name, has adj shoulder harness without removing).
Sept 2015 - infant (graco classic base one that goes to 35 lbs? and base has lockoff)

jjordan

I found some 2006-2008 Honda Odyssey 8 pass in our price range. How do the extra middle seats work? can the 2 buckets be slid together if mid seat is removed? how are the seat belt installs in 3rd row? seat belts appear to be forward of bight in pics.

The older Siennas (up to model year 2010) are terrific for car seats. The only trouble is, it can be difficult to find the 8 passenger versions. The same years for 8 passenger Odysseys are not as good, but do-able with the right combination of car seats. I believe that in the Odyssey, the outboard seats can be slid together if the middle seat is removed, although I'm not 100% sure on that. Also not sure on the newer Kias.

My carseat/kid stats aren't updated on my profile/signature.
almost 10 yr in saferider vest or backless booster about 52" tall and 56 lbs.
7 yr in Graco (4 something in name) clone to 70 lbs, kiddo about 46" tall and 48lb. does not do well in booster yet unless for short rides.
4 yr 39" 34 lb FF radian with head wings
2 yr 36" 33 lb RF graco clone (similiar to 7 yrs, but diff name, has adj shoulder harness without removing).
Sept 2015 - infant (graco classic base one that goes to 35 lbs? and base has lockoff)

These are the same ages as my kids two years ago, minus the 10 year old. :)

chelsi82

Shout out for Sedona!!! One of my "must haves" was an 8 passenger, but I only have 2 munchkins & one coming so I was willing to sacrifice. Ours is a 2009, bought it last year for just under $10k walkaway price with 68k on the odometer. This car was made for me... It drives super smooth, pickup is fantastic, and loaded down with kids, dog, luggage and a 200lb worth of ice chests it still has manageable pickup & stopping power. It has large cargo area in the hatch, and, I don't know.... All I can say is I left my love affair with Volvo ... for a KIA & haven't looked back [emoji5] [emoji7]

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

mom2kandm

We had an 07 honda (it was only 7 passenger) and we had a ton of issues with the car. We bought it brand new and recently traded it in for a Sienna. If you search Edmunds there a ton of chatter about transmission problems with the honda around the years you are looking at. So, do your research!

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes. If you go for an Ody of those years it NEEDS to have an already rebuilt or replaced transmission and if the door motors haven't been replaced be aware that the auto doors usually go at about 20-35k miles and are $400+ each to replace (you can still use the doors by turning off but automatic open/close won't work.)

jjordan

Shout out for Sedona!!! One of my "must haves" was an 8 passenger, but I only have 2 munchkins & one coming so I was willing to sacrifice. Ours is a 2009, bought it last year for just under $10k walkaway price with 68k on the odometer. This car was made for me... It drives super smooth, pickup is fantastic, and loaded down with kids, dog, luggage and a 200lb worth of ice chests it still has manageable pickup & stopping power. It has large cargo area in the hatch, and, I don't know.... All I can say is I left my love affair with Volvo ... for a KIA & haven't looked back [emoji5] [emoji7]

We got our 2008 Sedona 3 years ago and it has been a great car for us. I also wanted an 8 passenger, but we would have ended up either spending a lot more money for a comparable age of Odyssey or Sienna, or spending the same money and getting a much older Odyssey or Sienna with more miles. Also the Sedona has better safety ratings than the Odysseys and Siennas from similar model years.

I can see where 8 passenger might be more important for someone with 5 kids (we have just 4 kids). But they are going to cost you, either in $$ or age/mileage of the vehicle.

jheimes

I am really leaning towards 8 passenger over the option of an older dodge caravan or chrysler town & country with middle bench seat to access the 3rd row seat with 2 RF in 2nd row...I'm just afraid that we'd have to eventually get the 8 pass anyways, if we end up with a surprise 6th kid.
I'm leaning towards an 07 to 09 toyota sienna 8 pass with higher mileage or the 8 pass honda oddyssey (now not sure because of transmission stuff).
Or get an older chrysler or dodge with the bench seat in 2nd row so it would be cheap enough that we could get an 8 pass in 2 yrs.
I have only seen 2 kia vans closer than 200 miles from us and both had bucket seats - so prob not an option.
We currently have a 2003 Chrysler Town & Country with a 2 pass bench seat installed in 2nd row (for access to 3rd with 2 RF) and a 01 bench seat installed in 3rd row (to get 3 tethers). Because neither bench seat came with vehicle, this makes me leery and the vehicle is shot and has 189,000 miles on it and needs to be replaced soon cause it's having problems.

jheimes

on converting older chryslers or dodges to 8 pass with a 3rd row bench installed in 2nd row...how do you get kids into 3rd row?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The T&C is really awful for trying to fill up full. I think you can swap a third row for the second row bench in some years but I wouldn't as there are so many logistical problems.

chelsi82

Mechanical problems aside, I have actually seen a 3rd row seat in the middle row of a friends' old dodge caravan/clone for similar reasons, and their older kids were able to walk through the passenger door side to get to the back like they would if it were a 2 seat bench... It wasn't as bad as it sounds... Tight, but doable.

Mechanical issues are a whole other issue though :)

Dillipop

The 07 8 passenger has full latch in all 3 seats in the middle row and the passenger and middle of the third row. The drivers side third row is the only spot with nothing.

We have an 08 8 passenger and love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jheimes

So we got the 8 passenger 2007 Toyota Sienna at s good deal...now where do I put the car seats? 9 yr 52" and 56 lb close to 5 step in Sienna, but I'm not comfortable with lap belt position on hips. I feel a little high. She was using a bubblebum or a safe rider vest in old vehicle.
7 year old in graco s4me 70. He's not quite mature enough for a high back booster yet and small sized. Wears a 5, 40 some pounds.
4 1/2 year old FF in a radian xtsl. About 34 lbs.
2 1/2 year old RF in another graco my size70. Infant in Sept. In a graco 35(classic).
I was thinking 2 RF in center row and older 3 in back, so can either leave out outer 2nd row seat or tumble it. I'm having issues trying to get 2 seats and my 9 yr old in 3rd row. She feels squished and it is putting her belt at a weird angle.
Any ideas what to put where and if to use latch or seatbelt to get installs?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC