Truck ?

sandhillcranes

My husband has an old ford ranger. With my work schedule, he will be the one driving him to school this yr. School is 3-5mins from our home. He is 5yo, 47lbs. He has been in a high back booster in my car for almost a yr. My question is- hubbys truck only has a small cab with small seats that fold down so the passengers are facing sideways (hope that makes sense). DH said legally he can ride in the front of the vehicle in a booster (if the airbag is turned off) but I want to know where the SAFEST spot in the truck would be for him to ride in. There are only lap belts in the "back". I will be doing the picking up but I am agonizing over what to do about the morning.

This is cross posted. I really just wanna make sure he is SAFE. It is a short drive but we RF'ed him so long and now I don't want to make an uneducated decision and I just don't know enough about carseats and trucks
Any help is appreciated

ADS

bubbaray

You can NOT use a child restraint of any kind, including a booster, on a sideways facing seat. You can NOT use a booster with a lap belt

jacqui276

He can safely ride in the front in his booster seat if there is a lap/shoulder belt and the air bag can be turned off. No car seats or boosters allow them to be positioned on the sideways seats.

U

Unregistered

Ok thank u- yes the airbag can be turned off with the key. Just feels wrong to think about putting him in the front I guess but if he is safer with the lap/shoulder belt than in the back with a lap belt then that is what I will do.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I love your username. Two of my DDs and I went out to Nebraska this spring to see the migration!

In this situation, the front seat is definitely a better option than a side-facing seat.

starshine514

We used to have a truck with the same setup when we just had our first child. We just turned off the airbag and the tech installed the seat in the passenger seat. It was actually fantastic. My little one loved being in the front seat. It's definitely the safest place for him in your husband's vehicle. I would have a really hard time letting my girls sit in those side seats...luckily, we sold that truck before our second child was born (so we've never been faced with that problem).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC