flying with radian tips

Lee-B-

I'm traveling alone with my 2.5yr old tomorrow. I bought a Samsonite travel cart for the radian. It fits on it nice, the cart has a built in bungee cord to secure it. The cart folds small and is a bit narrower than the radian. My carryon bag fits on the car seat under the bungee so it (and my child) is all I need to lug around.

Any tips for boarding? I got us seats in rows 5 and 7 for our flights so not too far a distance down the aisle. It is a smaller plane (2seats aisle 2 seats). Odds the cart will roll down the aisle?

My main concern is getting to the seats. I haven't used the travel cart before.

Just having a moment of panic. She's flown many times but it's the first time with the cart and my husband isn't coming this flight!

Deep breath...

ADS

krasota

On small planes, I've generally had issues rolling car seats. Heck, sometimes carrying them is an issue with clearance. I'd probably consider folding it on the cart so that you can separate it quickly and kick your bag ahead of you in case you need to lift it up between the seats and the overhead bins.

SnowMom

I flew with the radian when i had a 2.5 yr old and an infant. I had a car-seat specific cart for it - the GoGo baby. I left the GoGo baby cart attached (lowering the handle to the lowest point) to the Radian for loading it on to the airplane so that it could be carried by the cart rather than the carseat's straps. At the bottom of the steps (usually tiny planes don't have an elevated walkway but you could get lucky) I hefted the seat over my head and carried it up that way. When I got into the plane, i asked passengers to duck as I carried it over their heads to our seats. Deplaning, I had all sorts of offers to help. It's hard to explain to strangers why car seats shouldn't be carried by their harness straps, so it's nice to have the cart attached and direct them to carry it by the cart hardware. FYI, installed it rear facing on the airplane. It was great.

Lee-B-

Oh man...thanks! I completely forgot that we have to go up the stairs on the plane. Our first plane usually has the ramps but the second one is a walk out based on the airport set up.

Ok...will try and plan for that.

I would have ordered the backpack straps for it if I had remembered that!

Thanks...having the heads up for the walk out flight is a huge help!!

LittleBlackBug

CPS Technician
I know this is quite old, but we find it helpful to ask for seatbelt extenders. It makes accessing the buckle much easier for install and removal.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC