Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Chrysler Aspen '09 - worth getting for 6 children?

Back row: The older 2 will be in a booster, or none - depending on how they fit. The 7 yr. old will be in a booster. They are petite, so don't need a tremendous amount of leg space.

The middle row will have 2 RF and one FF child. We barely travel, so do not need a lot of luggage space.

Our dealer has it for a good price, with 102,000 km. and we would trade in our GC 2010 for it, so our payments will remain about the same.

I haven't seen it yet, but DH just saw it, and I want to know if I should bother going to look at it.

It's a hybrid/ gas - so officially doesn't milk on gas.

(I would love the Sienna 2nd gen. or Odyssey 3rd 8 passengers, but we have been looking for a while already, and they are really expensive here, and the NB will be here in a few weeks.)

Thanks so much!
    13 and 12 - 5 Stepping;
    10 and 8 - Booster; 5 - FF Foonf;
    3 - RF Roundabout; 5/18 - KF

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Senior Community Member Dillipop's Avatar

Re: Chrysler Aspen '09 - worth getting for 6 children?

I had never heard of this vehicle so I had to look it up. Looks like it is a dodge Durango under the Chrysler name. I have no experience with either of these but maybe others can chime in that have durangos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCO 4/15

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus Jeanum's Avatar

Since you're in Canada where top tethering is mandatory for forward facing harnessed carseat installations, I peeked in the LATCH manual to look up top tether anchor info. 2007-2009 Aspens have 4 top tether anchors total in the 8-passenger version, with 2 full sets of LATCH/UAS (lower LATCH anchors/UAS plus top tether anchor) in each second row outboard vehicle seating position, and a top tether anchor for the second row center and the third row center. The top tether anchors are located on the second and third row seatbacks. 7-passenger models lack a second row center seating position so they have one less top tether anchor (a total of 3) compared to the 8-passenger model.

FWIW, I rode briefly in a 2009 8-passenger Aspen hybrid, with DH riding shotgun up front, me behind him in the second row, and a Chrysler auto show rep driving us around the 2009 Detroit auto show's indoor green themed test track featuring EVs/hybrids/alternative fuel vehicles. I believe at that point in time Chrysler had already announced the hybrid Aspen and possibly its non-hybrid version (and also the hybrid version of the Durango) were being discontinued as part of the Chrysler bankruptcy filing, but Chrysler still hoped to market the existing inventory that had been already manufactured. My main memory of the ride is that it's a hybrid yet it has a Hemi?!? lol, and that it seemed surprisingly tight in terms of second row legroom compared to our then 2005 8-passenger Sienna, even though I'm not particularly tall (5'6" and mostly torso). I didn't get to try it out with kids or carseats or experiment with third row space or access, though. Ideally, you try it out thoroughly in person by test installing your carseats/boosters and buckling in boostered or non-boostered children to check the seatbelt positioning before making a buying decision.
    Regards,
    Jean

DD1 Age 16, 66" Driver's Ed
    DD2 Age 12, 64" 5 steps

Click here if you wish to view the full size version of my avatar

I would try it first. I'm wondering if I should even bother, or continue looking further.

Thanks.
    13 and 12 - 5 Stepping;
    10 and 8 - Booster; 5 - FF Foonf;
    3 - RF Roundabout; 5/18 - KF

It is an upscale Dodge Durango. Pretty much all of the components are the same.

It's not a bad vehicle by any means. Lots of features, mediocre fuel economy and average fit and finish over time.

DD - 12/07 - Backless Turbo
    DS - 9/13 - Boulevard