Chrysler Aspen '09 - worth getting for 6 children?

sunflower

Back row: The older 2 will be in a booster, or none - depending on how they fit. The 7 yr. old will be in a booster. They are petite, so don't need a tremendous amount of leg space.

The middle row will have 2 RF and one FF child. We barely travel, so do not need a lot of luggage space.

Our dealer has it for a good price, with 102,000 km. and we would trade in our GC 2010 for it, so our payments will remain about the same.

I haven't seen it yet, but DH just saw it, and I want to know if I should bother going to look at it.

It's a hybrid/ gas - so officially doesn't milk on gas.

(I would love the Sienna 2nd gen. or Odyssey 3rd 8 passengers, but we have been looking for a while already, and they are really expensive here, and the NB will be here in a few weeks.)

Thanks so much!

ADS

Dillipop

I had never heard of this vehicle so I had to look it up. Looks like it is a dodge Durango under the Chrysler name. I have no experience with either of these but maybe others can chime in that have durangos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Since you're in Canada where top tethering is mandatory for forward facing harnessed carseat installations, I peeked in the LATCH manual to look up top tether anchor info. 2007-2009 Aspens have 4 top tether anchors total in the 8-passenger version, with 2 full sets of LATCH/UAS (lower LATCH anchors/UAS plus top tether anchor) in each second row outboard vehicle seating position, and a top tether anchor for the second row center and the third row center. The top tether anchors are located on the second and third row seatbacks. 7-passenger models lack a second row center seating position so they have one less top tether anchor (a total of 3) compared to the 8-passenger model.

FWIW, I rode briefly in a 2009 8-passenger Aspen hybrid, with DH riding shotgun up front, me behind him in the second row, and a Chrysler auto show rep driving us around the 2009 Detroit auto show's indoor green themed test track featuring EVs/hybrids/alternative fuel vehicles. I believe at that point in time Chrysler had already announced the hybrid Aspen and possibly its non-hybrid version (and also the hybrid version of the Durango) were being discontinued as part of the Chrysler bankruptcy filing, but Chrysler still hoped to market the existing inventory that had been already manufactured. My main memory of the ride is that it's a hybrid yet it has a Hemi?!? lol, and that it seemed surprisingly tight in terms of second row legroom compared to our then 2005 8-passenger Sienna, even though I'm not particularly tall (5'6" and mostly torso). I didn't get to try it out with kids or carseats or experiment with third row space or access, though. Ideally, you try it out thoroughly in person by test installing your carseats/boosters and buckling in boostered or non-boostered children to check the seatbelt positioning before making a buying decision.

SavsMom

It is an upscale Dodge Durango. Pretty much all of the components are the same.

It's not a bad vehicle by any means. Lots of features, mediocre fuel economy and average fit and finish over time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC