Which vehicle for 6 kids?

bnsnyde

Which vehicle would you choose if you had 6 kids in seats? And soon probably just 5 in seats and one seatbelt...and so on.

We have a 2011 Odyssey, and it's nice. We probably will get another of those 2015 or 2016 model year. We have some booster riders now so tethers are not needed in every spot. I think the back seat is too narrow, but maybe all back seats are narrow. I do like latch in every spot possible, though with 3 in a row that isn't always useful anyway.

We need to replace a 2005 Civic and want something that will seat everybody (8 people).
I think we're getting it in either December or April.

I forgot to mention that I see no advantage of an SUV over a minivan. ? And I read there is a new Mercedes van out that seats 8, but since the Odyssey works well for us, I don't know what this would offer over that. I just don't have enough info.

ADS

bnsnyde

That is my dream car. But I'm afraid it'd be bigger than we need and hard to drive. I can barely drive a mini-van.
I just looked at the pic again, and it's big. I don't think I could manage that thing!

sirrahn

I don't know much about it, but I've started seeing quite a few Ford Transit Connects around. I believe they make them in 8+ passenger models. It sits lower and seems relatively compact.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

kathysr98

There are multiple lengths of the Ford Transit Connect available. I *think* they start at 8 passengers and have various amounts of cargo space while going up to 14 or 15 passengers. They have a single seat to the opposite side of the aisle in some versions which could be very helpful when a child is bothering siblings, especially a baby.

ETA: the bigger van is the Ford Transit. The Transit Connect is the minivan with a maximum of seven passengers.

aporthole

The 2015/2016 Odyssey really is no different than the 2011 you already have. The seats themselves as far as passengers and car seating are identical.

aporthole

The Transit Connect (mini minivan) and the full size Transit (comes in multiple lengths/roof heights/passenger capacities) are completely different.

jennzee

It's taller but not much longer or wider than a minivan.

It's not much wider, but it's definitely longer and taller.

76ab995eec14235ab996c05e642cc649.jpg

fe3ef4d3679062b08426dc418c2add85.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bubbaray

You will note that I said not "much" longer. The NV and the Transit are about the same size. If you can drive a mini van, you can drive either of them. Its not like I was comparing either to a Smart car. ETA: And they both fit in a regular-sized parking spot (I've seen both parked in regular parking spots in our Metro area, which has smaller parking spots than most I've encountered in the USA).

jennzee

Given than she's currently driving an Odyssey, I thought it helpful to post the size difference between the two. The NV is very well-designed to not feel like a behemoth, but I've parked next to one more than once in my Ody and it *does* feel much larger side-by-side. Since she already feels like a minivan is a large vehicle for her to manage, even something that isn't "much" bigger will likely make a big difference for her.

(and based on the measurements I looked up, the Connect does appear to be quite a bit shorter than the NV)

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
You will note that I said not "much" longer.

The difference in length between the NV (241") and the Odyssey (203") is greater than the difference between the Ody and a tiny little Corolla (182")! The NV is over three feet longer than the Ody, while the Ody is less than two feet longer than the Corolla. I would call that "much" longer, especially for someone who already finds the Odyssey "hard to drive."

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC