Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Which vehicle for 6 kids?

Which vehicle would you choose if you had 6 kids in seats? And soon probably just 5 in seats and one seatbelt...and so on.

We have a 2011 Odyssey, and it's nice. We probably will get another of those 2015 or 2016 model year. We have some booster riders now so tethers are not needed in every spot. I think the back seat is too narrow, but maybe all back seats are narrow. I do like latch in every spot possible, though with 3 in a row that isn't always useful anyway.

We need to replace a 2005 Civic and want something that will seat everybody (8 people).
    I think we're getting it in either December or April.

I forgot to mention that I see no advantage of an SUV over a minivan. ? And I read there is a new Mercedes van out that seats 8, but since the Odyssey works well for us, I don't know what this would offer over that. I just don't have enough info.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Which vehicle for 6 kids?

Nissan NV
    Melissa

DD#1, April 2004, FFg in a Pink Harmony Literider & Onyx Parkway SG
    DD#2, January 2007, FFg in a Pink Monterey & Purple with Pink Hearts HBTB

Riding in my 2010 Toyota RAV4 and DH's 2011 Ford 150 Crew Cab

CPS Fanatic

That is my dream car. But I'm afraid it'd be bigger than we need and hard to drive. I can barely drive a mini-van.
    I just looked at the pic again, and it's big. I don't think I could manage that thing!
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

It's taller but not much longer or wider than a minivan.
    Melissa

Senior Community Member sirrahn's Avatar

I don't know much about it, but I've started seeing quite a few Ford Transit Connects around. I believe they make them in 8+ passenger models. It sits lower and seems relatively compact.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
    Mom to DS-21 driving a 2011 Honda CR-Z, DS-19 driving a 2010 Toyota Prius, DD-16 driving a 2017 Toyota Yaris iA, and DD-14 riding in a 2018 Mazda CX-9 & 2018 Mazda CX-3

Carseat Crazy
    There are multiple lengths of the Ford Transit Connect available. I *think* they start at 8 passengers and have various amounts of cargo space while going up to 14 or 15 passengers. They have a single seat to the opposite side of the aisle in some versions which could be very helpful when a child is bothering siblings, especially a baby.

ETA: the bigger van is the Ford Transit. The Transit Connect is the minivan with a maximum of seven passengers.
    Mama to Josie (4/08, 47lbs & 49"), retriever-cat Hotrod, munchkin-cat Gizmo, and hell-cat Leggs.

CPS Technician
    The 2015/2016 Odyssey really is no different than the 2011 you already have. The seats themselves as far as passengers and car seating are identical.
    DS1 (April '09) Britax Parkway SGL & Clek Olli, DD (March '12) Britax Frontier 90 & Evenflo Maestro, DS2 (April '15) RF Nuna Rava & RF Clek Foonf
    2011 Honda Pilot
    2009 Honda Ridgeline

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    That's hard to believe. My friend just bought one and it makes a suburban look small.
    C: 12/06, maui PW
    M: 02/08, carbon vivo
    C: 12/10, RF sporty blue TF

CPS Technician
    The Transit Connect (mini minivan) and the full size Transit (comes in multiple lengths/roof heights/passenger capacities) are completely different.
    DS1 (April '09) Britax Parkway SGL & Clek Olli, DD (March '12) Britax Frontier 90 & Evenflo Maestro, DS2 (April '15) RF Nuna Rava & RF Clek Foonf
    2011 Honda Pilot
    2009 Honda Ridgeline

Senior Community Member jennzee's Avatar

It's not much wider, but it's definitely longer and taller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ryan, 12yo, Incognito
    Owen, 9.5yo, NBB
    Emmy, 9.5yo, NBB
    Quincy, 4, FF'ing Marathon
    Lindsey, 2, RF'ing CCO

You will note that I said not "much" longer. The NV and the Transit are about the same size. If you can drive a mini van, you can drive either of them. Its not like I was comparing either to a Smart car. ETA: And they both fit in a regular-sized parking spot (I've seen both parked in regular parking spots in our Metro area, which has smaller parking spots than most I've encountered in the USA).
    Melissa

Senior Community Member jennzee's Avatar
    Given than she's currently driving an Odyssey, I thought it helpful to post the size difference between the two. The NV is very well-designed to not feel like a behemoth, but I've parked next to one more than once in my Ody and it *does* feel much larger side-by-side. Since she already feels like a minivan is a large vehicle for her to manage, even something that isn't "much" bigger will likely make a big difference for her.

(and based on the measurements I looked up, the Connect does appear to be quite a bit shorter than the NV)
    Ryan, 12yo, Incognito
    Owen, 9.5yo, NBB
    Emmy, 9.5yo, NBB
    Quincy, 4, FF'ing Marathon
    Lindsey, 2, RF'ing CCO

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus UlrikeDG's Avatar

You will note that I said not "much" longer.
    The difference in length between the NV (241") and the Odyssey (203") is greater than the difference between the Ody and a tiny little Corolla (182")! The NV is over three feet longer than the Ody, while the Ody is less than two feet longer than the Corolla. I would call that "much" longer, especially for someone who already finds the Odyssey "hard to drive."
    Ulrike, mom to:
    Roman (3/98), Evalina (3/00), Nadia (3/03), and Kira (11/07)

See an inappropriate post? Don't reply to it; report it!
    Thanks for your help in keeping this a safe, SPAM-free zone!