Does Toyota Allow latch in the center? Plus other ?s MA vs FPSVD etc.

Holly

I'm pretty sure my Camry doesnt allow it, but I was wondering what about the 3rd row in a Toyota Sienna?
We have 1 radian now, and have plans to get another Radian once my dd#1 is FF (We have to have the Radian in the center of our car) We want to get a Toyota Sienna in a few years, and I'm also thinking about possibly getting the Sunshine Kids Monterrey booster once DD#1 is ready for a booster, and those use latch too.

It might not ever be an issue because we want 4 kids and we could have 2 kids outboard in the 3rd row and the other 2 in the 2nd row. But I think I've heard that over a certain weight you have to use seatbelts anyway and can't use latch. This would all be okay if the Radians would fit there with the seatbelts, and I have no idea if they do or not. I think I have heard about a few install issues with seatbelts and toyotas, but I'm not sure. Anyone tried a Radian FF in a Toyota? Mine fits in mine, but it's RF, I haven't tried it FF.

Other Questions, when it comes time to buy another seat (the radian is what we are thinking), I want to see if I can find any deals on other HWH seats too. I can't afford a regular priced Britax (Dh would not ever let me spend that much) but I've seen some sales lately that would be great (I saw a girly MA on babycenter I think it was for $200 I think, and there was a black BV for a great price like that too). I also think the FPSVD looks cool too. Have any of you tried your kids in those seats as well as a Radian, and how do they compare? How does your child fit in them, which is most comfy for them, which is more convienent for you etc? If needed, can those other seats fit 3 across too?

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm pretty sure my Camry doesnt allow it, but I was wondering what about the 3rd row in a Toyota Sienna?

I don't have a LATCH manual, so I'm not sure about all models, but of the ones I'm aware of, Toyota doesn't allow borrowing of LATCH anchors.

I think I've heard that over a certain weight you have to use seatbelts anyway and can't use latch.

That's right - Toyota is one that refers to the limits listed by the carseat manufacturer though I believe.

Anyone tried a Radian FF in a Toyota? Mine fits in mine, but it's RF, I haven't tried it FF.

Sorry, can't help with that one - have you checked the compatibility thread? If it's going to be awhile before you buy it anyways, I wouldn't think about it too much - manufacturers redesign models of vehicles quite often, so the interior could change in another year or two...

Other Questions, when it comes time to buy another seat (the radian is what we are thinking), I want to see if I can find any deals on other HWH seats too. I can't afford a regular priced Britax (Dh would not ever let me spend that much) but I've seen some sales lately that would be great (I saw a girly MA on babycenter I think it was for $200 I think, and there was a black BV for a great price like that too). I also think the FPSVD looks cool too. Have any of you tried your kids in those seats as well as a Radian, and how do they compare? How does your child fit in them, which is most comfy for them, which is more convienent for you etc? If needed, can those other seats fit 3 across too?

Neither the MA or the FPSVD will give as much growing room as the Radian, and they're too wide for 3 across unless you're using the radian as 1 or 2 of the seats (depends on your back seat space.)

The FPSVD is being discontinued once the current stock of components is used up, so it may not be available for that much longer...

I have a MA & a Radian. I like both for different reasons, there's things I'd like to be different on each of them. Overall the Radian wins out for harness height & portability plus the 8yr expiration. The Marathon wins for overall comfort and ease of installation.

supermommyof2

I have a 06 Sienna (7-pass). I'm assuming that the US version is the same as the Canadian, Latch and tethers are in the middle row (2 for 7-pas, 3 for 8), 3rd row only has them ps and middle, and yes, Latch can only be used to 48lbs. See my post on the successfull Radian install thread (#187) It includes a link to pics of Radian installs that didn't work (and an idea of the layout of the 3rd row), here's some that did work. I don't get pics of the Radian in the 3rd row yet, but when I get my short-strapped "replacement" I'll add some of 2 in the 3rd row. I'm not a tech yet, but am obsessive about getting a solid install :) Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC