Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Best Car Seat for Air Travel with Tall Toddler

I'm seeking some advice on a new car seat for my giant 23 month old. We travel often and have been using the Cosco Scenera for the last 9 months, which has been great. But now my son has surpassed the limits on the seat (he's 40 lbs/36 in), which is a big problem since I can't rear or forward-face him in it. So it's time for another purchase. I need something that's narrow and lightweight enough for air travel, but that's sturdy enough to use as a regular second car seat while visiting grandparents, etc. (which we do often). I've been looking at the Safety1st Guide 65 Sport, but are there others I should consider? Looking at blogs and other online forums, most of the recommendations are better suited for smaller toddlers. I'd like to keep this as inexpensive as possible, obviously, but I know that a bigger car seat often equals a bigger price tag. Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance!!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPS Fanatic

Re: Best Car Seat for Air Travel with Tall Toddler

At 40 lbs, there really aren't any lightweight low cost convertible car seats that can rear face him anymore, so I assume you're looking to forward face him at this point?

In that case, the two options I would look at are the Evenflo SecureKid and the Evenflo Sureride. Both are lightweight and inexpensive, relatively narrow, and harness to 65 pounds.

The Sureride has taller top harness slots, so you might be able to harness him longer in it (unless he outgrows it by weight first); the SecureKid has the benefit of turning into a booster when he's ready for one.

Re: Best Car Seat for Air Travel with Tall Toddler

Thank you! Yes, I'm going to forward-face him at this point, much to my disappointment. He can still rear-face in our everyday seat (Diono Radian RXT), but I don't think I have much choice but to forward-face during travels. The Radian is just too heavy for me to travel with, especially at 6-1/2 months pregnant with #2 and a very active toddler to keep tabs on.

Thanks for the suggestions!