Question Best Car Seat for Air Travel with Tall Toddler

charliebrown35m

I'm seeking some advice on a new car seat for my giant 23 month old. We travel often and have been using the Cosco Scenera for the last 9 months, which has been great. But now my son has surpassed the limits on the seat (he's 40 lbs/36 in), which is a big problem since I can't rear or forward-face him in it. So it's time for another purchase. I need something that's narrow and lightweight enough for air travel, but that's sturdy enough to use as a regular second car seat while visiting grandparents, etc. (which we do often). I've been looking at the Safety1st Guide 65 Sport, but are there others I should consider? Looking at blogs and other online forums, most of the recommendations are better suited for smaller toddlers. I'd like to keep this as inexpensive as possible, obviously, but I know that a bigger car seat often equals a bigger price tag. Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance!!

ADS

lgenne

At 40 lbs, there really aren't any lightweight low cost convertible car seats that can rear face him anymore, so I assume you're looking to forward face him at this point?

In that case, the two options I would look at are the Evenflo SecureKid and the Evenflo Sureride. Both are lightweight and inexpensive, relatively narrow, and harness to 65 pounds.

The Sureride has taller top harness slots, so you might be able to harness him longer in it (unless he outgrows it by weight first); the SecureKid has the benefit of turning into a booster when he's ready for one.

charliebrown35m

Thank you! Yes, I'm going to forward-face him at this point, much to my disappointment. He can still rear-face in our everyday seat (Diono Radian RXT), but I don't think I have much choice but to forward-face during travels. The Radian is just too heavy for me to travel with, especially at 6-1/2 months pregnant with #2 and a very active toddler to keep tabs on.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC