Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Well, it finally happened

I've heard about kids being embarrassed by their booster usage in front of friends before but it has never happened to my kids (7 and 9). I was picking up two girls (9) who are in camp this week with my daughter (9) and I had two Harmony Literiders for them all set up in the car for them. The one girl gets in and says "I haven't used a car seat since I was 6." I was this close to saying, well, your parents suck. I used my standard line, "well, in our car, kids use boosters." I didn't really want to go into the safety aspect of it. My daughter has never been bothered by this before but I think this time she was. She's also really close to 5 stepping but has two younger brothers so we will be using car seats in our car for at least the next 9-11 years. We also live in an upper middle class neighborhood so there's simply no excuse for this! Mind you, the same friend isn't allowed to walk home from school by herself TWO BLOCKS because it wouldn't be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    E 3/21/06 4'6" 62lbs Graco Affix/Harmony Literider/Graco Turbo Booster/Bubble Bum
    G 1/31/08 3'5" 32lbs Britax Frontier 80//Graco Turbo Booster/Graco Affix
    J 10/23/14 17lbs 26in Britax Boulevard CT

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Eek! 6 yo!!! I think your answer was perfect!

I've never run into this situation, but I fear the day it will happen!
    Mary Ann - Maman franco
    Sorry for my broken English
    DD1: 10/2008 - Rides FF in a Plum RXT or PW's
    DD2: 02/2013 - Rides RF in a Flamingo Foonf
    DS: 07/2015 - Rides RF in a cowmoo Boulevard

Re: Well, it finally happened

It's appalling! Especially seeing as though my neighborhood is overrun with helicopter parents who won't let their kids do anything but they can sit in the front seat!

E 3/21/06 4'6" 62lbs Graco Affix/Harmony Literider/Graco Turbo Booster/Bubble Bum

Senior Community Member aeormsby's Avatar

My 9yo DD is getting to that point also. DH let a friend of hers ride without a booster in our car (her older sister was babysitting so it might have been a tougher sell when big sis said she doesn't use boosters anymore).

Luckily in our Saturn there's one spot in the 3rd row that kids 5-step in early (DD has for a year already). So if we have one extra kid I have DD in her booster on the 'bad' side and let the friend sit in the 5-stepping spot. Hopefully our new Incognito will help if we need more than one friend in the car also.

I think you did fine, it's tough for the kids even if they understand the safety benefits and what 5-stepping means.
    Ann

DD - 1/06 - 5-stepping
    DS - 12/07 - Incognito, Recaro Performance Booster & Harmony Literiders
    And a Bubble Bum for backup/travel

Carseat Crazy
    Quote Originally Posted by mping View Post
    I've heard about kids being embarrassed by their booster usage in front of friends before but it has never happened to my kids (7 and 9). I was picking up two girls (9) who are in camp this week with my daughter (9) and I had two Harmony Literiders for them all set up in the car for them. The one girl gets in and says "I haven't used a car seat since I was 6." I was this close to saying, well, your parents suck. I used my standard line, "well, in our car, kids use boosters." I didn't really want to go into the safety aspect of it. My daughter has never been bothered by this before but I think this time she was. She's also really close to 5 stepping but has two younger brothers so we will be using car seats in our car for at least the next 9-11 years. We also live in an upper middle class neighborhood so there's simply no excuse for this! Mind you, the same friend isn't allowed to walk home from school by herself TWO BLOCKS because it wouldn't be safe.

Funny, I let my 9 and 10 year olds ride their bikes to school several blocks away, yet they still use boosters in our cars, except for the now 11 yo in the rear center seat of my ford fusion, since he 5 steps there.

I asked her about this later on in the day and she said she wasn't embarrassed at all. She says she understands why I'm as strict as I am too. I hope she wasn't just appeasing me but it seemed genuine.

Senior Community Member DabOfLoven's Avatar

My dd is 10, will be 11 in December. She's not bothered at all by hers. She knows it's it keep her safe. She is maybe 62lbs but tall. She does fit okay in the seat belt in the back of our mazda 5. She loves her pink zebra booster. I honestly don't think she realizes other kids her age aren't using them. But she's not ready to give it up anytime soon

My daughter is very aware that her friends (except for 2 of them) don't use boosters at all. Some even sit in the front seat! My neighbor's son is the same age and he sits in the front seat all the time.