Peg Convertible question

Just wondering if anyone has heard from Peg regarding harness height and headrest level - DD's head is about an inch below the top of the headrest (which is the stated minimum), but if I move the headrest up, the harness comes from above her shoulders.
I've emailed peg, and they emailed me back saying that her "ears and up need to be within the SIP pad", and that the harness cannot come from above her shoulders. They confirmed that they indeed did mean "ears and above" when I emailed back to check, so I don't know if they're understanding my question.
Has anyone heard an official stance on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I haven't, but it makes sense that it's ok to have a little less than an inch clearance as long as the harness is at or just below the shoulders. The third headrest height, which is the max allowed rear facing, does tend to put the ears just below the actual shell...

On the other hand they may be mixing up directions? I know some people have had trouble with getting answers from customer service in English from Peg. :/

Just clarifying, you mean 3rd from the top, correct?
Peg has their headrest heights numbered from the bottom (1 being the lowest and 10 being the highest). Slot 7 is the last allowed slot for RF in my manual.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
jellopanda, can we confirm your child is rear facing? Your comments seem to indicate she is, but you didn't specify. Also, what headrest position is your child on?

Also, how are you measuring the room your child has left? Just want to make sure you are doing it correctly. I put a DVD case on my child's head, so that the bottom spine of the case goes from the back to the front of their head. Then the tall end of the spine of the case is pressed into the back of the car seat, lined up as if it was a continuation of the back. Then I measure from the bottom of the DVD case, to the top of the headrest.
I know some people have had trouble with getting answers from customer service in English from Peg. :/

Looks like the OP is in Canada so shouldn't be any trouble getting answers in English since Peg Canada is located in Ontario.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
jellopanda, can we confirm your child is rear facing? Your comments seem to indicate she is, but you didn't specify. Also, what headrest position is your child on?

Also, how are you measuring the room your child has left? Just want to make sure you are doing it correctly. I put a DVD case on my child's head, so that the bottom spine of the case goes from the back to the front of their head. Then the tall end of the spine of the case is pressed into the back of the car seat, lined up as if it was a continuation of the back. Then I measure from the bottom of the DVD case, to the top of the headrest.

Looks like the OP is in Canada so shouldn't be any trouble getting answers in English since Peg Canada is located in Ontario.
One would think. But sometimes they seem to refer questions to non English fluent personnel.

Yes sorry, DD is RF. She is currently on the 2nd-from-bottom position. (25lbs, 32", 18mo)
I haven't had the chance to measure officially, but I'm going to try later on. The Peg rep asked for photos, so I'll be sending those in yet if DD cooperates.
The customer service rep's email signature says that she's in ON, and while I don't think she's understanding my question, there doesn't seem to be a language barrier.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I didn't have time to look at my seat this morning, but isn't the 2nd position still within the height of the shell? If it is, does she have at least an inch from top of head to top of shell? i.e. not headrest

I had the same problem I think you are describing with my daughter around 26 months of age. Basically, she has a large head, and when I moved the headrest up to keep her head in the appropriate place in the shell/headrest, the harness straps were coming from above the shoulders. This was rear-facing. I guess for some children, anatomically, the ratio for head clearance to shoulder won't work when the headrest and shoulder strap cannot be adjusted independently. I could not get an answer I felt comfortable with (and her head really did not look protected).

I was very happy with the seat otherwise, and had hoped my daughter would be able to stay in it until 4. My solution was to buy a different seat for her and move my younger daughter into the Peg. I'm glad I figured it out before buying a second one for my younger daughter.

The rep looked at my photos and said that the 3rd level is the best choice - the harness appears to be at her shoulders now, so either she was slouching like crazy or I'm going insane. Glad I got my answer!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC