Help: buying car seat in UK for use in US?

Lara44

Hello!

I'm moving to the US in August with my 1 year old son. He's just at the end of safe use of rear facing his group 0 car seat (head now at the top of the car seat). We'd like to get a new car seat that does extended rear facing.

We have a 4 hour coach journey from the airport to our new home. Ideally I'd like to have the car seat already, so that he can be safely buckled into his own seat. So I'm looking for an extended rear facing car seat that can be purchased in the UK, but also be legal in the US? Or we are flying into a major city so in theory we could stop there and buy a car seat? Are car seats kept in stock? These things are usually ordered online in the UK.

Ideally it would be suitable for both UK and US use as sadly we're only going to be in the US for one year. I'd be so grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks!

Lara

ADS

Brigala

CPST Instructor
As far as I know there are no seats that are legal for use in both the U.S. and the UK.

That said, if you bring over a UK seat the odds of getting in trouble for using it here, especially since it will be obvious that you are from overseas if you get pulled over, are slim to none. So if you want to take your chances, that's an option.

Unfortunately I don't think any of the extended rear facing seats over there are able to be installed on airplanes.

So you have some choices to make. You can get a seat when you land here or maybe even have someone pick one up and bring it to you at the airport. There are seats available on the shelves at many major retailers. Walmart carries a basic but suitable seat for $44 USD. You could get yourself a nice seat to use at home for years like the Axkid Minikid (my not so secret car seat crush) and store it for the year you're in the U.S., or pack it up and bring it with you.

There's a company called Kindseats in the UK that specializes in extended rear facing. They may be able to help you with selecting something.

Brigala

CPST Instructor
What airport are you flying in to? We might be able to check and see what retailers might be close enough to take a bus or light rail from the airport to buy a seat.

Lara44

Thanks for the advice :) We have decided to get a car seat in Manhattan where we're getting the coach onwards to our new home. There's a shop within walking distance that stocks Maxi Cosi so I think we will get the Pria that's on the recommended list here as it's well within our budget.

featherhead

Thanks for the advice :) We have decided to get a car seat in Manhattan where we're getting the coach onwards to our new home. There's a shop within walking distance that stocks Maxi Cosi so I think we will get the Pria that's on the recommended list here as it's well within our budget.

Excellent idea :)

gigi

In Manhattan, go to Buy Buy Baby rather than Babies R Us. Buy Buy Baby has a much better selection of in-stock car seats in general but especially in Manhattan.

In fact, you can take the airport transport bus to 34th St/Penn Station and just walk down 7th Ave to Buy Buy Baby on 26th (very short walk). Don't bother with the Subway, take that private airport bus.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC