Best option for tall 5 yr old w/ long torso

laudymama

I just moved DS harness to the top slot on his performance sport and he's got maybe 1-2in of space until his shoulders will be at least even. No clue how long it will take to get above there but looking at options since his last growth spurt put him over the previous slots. I am very conservative and even bought a new seat to keep him rf til 4, so Id like to harness him as long as possible. Are there any good options for a very tall, long torsoed kiddo like mine? He is 5 1/2 and 47in and 45 lbs and wears kids small/6 in shirts. He's in a headwise in grandma's car which I just raised to the highest position as well....also considering a hbb for him to replace in her car, although he does ride with grandma quite often so that may give me a heart attack!
I usually stay very up to date on seats and options but with a very busy toddler and new baby I just haven't been able to pay much attention lately:-/
I'm open to hearing thoughts on harness vs booster as well. Thanks!!
Posted via Mobile Device

ADS

Keeyamah

Moving to a booster has to do with maturity, if you think he is ready to be responsible for his own safety in the car and can follow the rules to stay in position and not reach for a toy that he dropped, slouch, etc so that the belt stays where it needs to be, then a booster is a safe option. Not every kid can at his age.

Most kids grow an average of one inch in the torso each year, so that 1-2" should get you 1-2 years, hopefully.

If you chose to keep him harnessed, my 6yr oldin September, 55lbs and 48" has a Britax Frontier 85 (has been replaced by the 90) and an Evenflo Sureide if he needs to be harnessed. Otherwise he is in an Evenflo Amp, however I just adjusted that to the highest setting, so you might look at taller boosters (Britax Parkway or Costco Pronto, I think?).

bnsnyde

I have my tall newish 4 YO in the Evenflo Sure Ride. I felt all other seats were a waste since he'd outgrow them quickly. And, it NEEDED to be a narrow seat for 3 in a row (so no Frontier, 90 which we sold). The Sure Ride has high top slots. He is not even on the top slot yet for some time.

You do have to snug it up at the waist each time since it has a continuous harness. I am used to it and it's fine now. And, it's deep so he has a lot of head protection as he's still short enough to be cradled by the seat. Love that!!!!

He is 47" and 48 lbs. It does look like a "baby" seat but I don't care, and neither does he.

thepote

Just for what it's worth, have you tried a different seating position in the car for the performance sport? Just switching it from my van to my sedan gives more than an inch more height because of the different installation angle.

Other than that, if you end up needing a new harness seat, frontier or SureRide, as the previous posters said. But at five you may be able to stick it out with his current seats and think about what boosters you want to try him in.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC