Woo Hoo! Health Department postcard!

Holly

Abby is nearing her first birthday (Nov 7th) and today we got a "Happy Birthday from the Health Department" postcard.
it says (Word for word):

Dear parent:
When your one-year-old child weighs at least 20 pounds, a convertible car seat may be turned to face forward. HOWEVER, we strongly recommend children remain rear-facing up to weight limits of the seat, usually 30 pounds for convertible car seats. When you switch the seat to forward-facing:
- Move the harness straps into the top slots.
- Adjust car seat's recline foot to make it upright while facing forward.
- Change seat belt path to back of car seat - check manual.
- Use top tethers, if your car has tether anchor brackets, for added protection in a crash.

YAY! So it's not completely perfect info (You dont need the very top slots forward facing if shorter slots are still even or above your child's shoulders) but this is a GREAT improvment around here! This is the first I have heard of ERF locally at all! I'm so glad that other parents will be getting the same info from the health department too! When I first started reading it and saw the forward facing at 20 lbs thing I was starting to get so upset, but I kept reading and saw that they did mention ERF too, so I'm happy about that! I'm going to keep it in my purse so if I ever need to show someone that the health department recomends it I'll have it with me!

ADS

MagnificentMama

Senior Community Member
That is awesome that your health department is doing that! The "suggestions" are kind of crappy and its really car seat specific as to what to do when switching to FF mode, but hey, at least they're advocating ERF!!!!! :thumbsup:

cpsaddict

The top slots thing is an outdated tip, but up until a few years ago, the top slots on most seats were the only ones reinforced for forward facing. The first ComfortSports had this rule, as did the Tourivas and the first Triumphs.
Overall, that is great advice and I like that they use "strongly". It seems better than just, "we recommend".

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC