Question Confirming tether positions in 2015 Odyssey

HeidiSmith

Possibly buying a 2015 Odyssey tomorrow... but I want to be sure I understand the safe/correct tether positions before signing the papers.

Honda website says "Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH): Lower Anchors (2nd-Row All, 3rd-Row Outboard), Tether Anchors (2nd-Row All, 3rd-Row All)

Odyssey models are available with up to five Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH): three in the second-row seating positions (EX and above) and two in the outboard third-row seat positions. The LATCH system provides two lower anchors and an upper tether anchor."

I currently have my 7 1/2 year old in a Frontier 85 still in harness mode, so I use the seatbelt to secure the seat and also use the top tether. My almost 5 year old is harnessed in a Frontier 95, using seatbelt and top tether.

Based on this setup, I could place both Frontiers in the 3rd row outboard positions, or even use the 3rd row center seat securing with seatbelt and top tether. Or is the seatbelt for the 3rd row center attached to the ceiling? And does that mean I can't use it for a car seat install?

Help. I spent all day Friday at dealerships and now my brain can't remember everything I saw.

Thanks!

ADS

lgenne

Yes, every rear seating position has a tether anchor, and 5/6 also have lower anchors. I believe that if you want to tether forward facing seats in both 3rd row outboard positions in a minivan, the Odyssey is your only choice. (Unless you call the Mazda 5 a minivan, which is a bit of a stretch.) The 2015 Sienna and 2015 Sedona both have 2 tether anchors back there, but I think they have one center and one outboard, which means you would need side by side installs, which certainly won't work with Frontiers.

The reason it's "up to" 5 and 6 seating positions is that the lowest trim line of the Odyssey is a 7 seater, so it only has 5 top tethers and 4 sets of lower anchors.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
You can use the seatbelt in the third row center to install a car seat. (Theoretically--not all combinations of seats will fit next to each other back there, but if something fits, the seatbelt is fine.)

HeidiSmith

Thank you both. That's exactly what I wanted to confirm. For the time being, I'll probably put both kids in the 2nd row. But, baby #3 is arriving in September, so I will either move both "big kids" to row 3 outboard or keep 1 in row 2 and move the other to the center of row 3. Just nice to have the choices. I was torn between the 2015 Sienna and 2015 Odyssey, but the Sienna is so limited in car seat positions... Especially if we have family visiting, I want to be able to put both big kids in the 3rd row so older relatives can ride in row 2 with the baby and not have to climb to the back. Now, if the dealership doesn't irritate me tomorrow, I'll be ready for the new baby. :)

msg221

Thank you both. That's exactly what I wanted to confirm. For the time being, I'll probably put both kids in the 2nd row. But, baby #3 is arriving in September, so I will either move both "big kids" to row 3 outboard or keep 1 in row 2 and move the other to the center of row 3. Just nice to have the choices. I was torn between the 2015 Sienna and 2015 Odyssey, but the Sienna is so limited in car seat positions... Especially if we have family visiting, I want to be able to put both big kids in the 3rd row so older relatives can ride in row 2 with the baby and not have to climb to the back. Now, if the dealership doesn't irritate me tomorrow, I'll be ready for the new baby. :)

I really wanted an Odyssey when we were looking to replace our totaled Accord, but DH thought it would be better to wait and get it when we turn my CR-V in which will be in just over a year. Since the Accord was his main ride, I agreed. We ended up getting him a 2015 Hyundai Sonata Sport on Saturday. The dealership did irritate me. Well, I should say not so much the dealership, but the whole car buying process. I only suffered through the conventional way of buying a car because of the 4th of July sales and rebates. By the way, when we were looking at the Odyssey, we talked to the internet manager. He was going to give us the "dealer pricing" which for the EX-L trim, was $31,862 (not including any dealer add ons, tax, license, and registration). You may already have your Odyssey, but just in case you don't, that might give you an idea of a price to negotiate around.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC