Question Infant car seat in taxi without ALR: safer to use Euro-path OR US-path with locking clip?

U

Unregistered

I live in Singapore where most taxis don't have ALR seat belts (since child restraints in private vehicles can't legally be installed with the seat belt only). I've been reading other answers to similar questions, but I'm still not 100% sure, so sorry if this is a double-up!

When using a RF infant car seat (without its base) in a taxi with ELR-only seat belts (that can't be tightly locked around the infant car seat), is it safer to:
(a) use the European belt path without locking the seat belt;
(b) use the American belt path and lock the seat belt using a locking clip to hold the lap and shoulder portions of the belt together near the latchplate; or
(c) use the European belt path and place the locking clip only on the shoulder belt part of the seat belt, very close to the latchplate to try and 'get the best of both worlds'?

Thanks for your help!

ADS
U

Unregistered

Hi! What seat do you have: American or European (or other), and which one specifically?
Thanks for your reply! I have a Maxi Cosi (purchased in Singapore) which has a European belt path, but I can install it using the American belt path (only using the guides near baby's feet, and not wrapping the shoulder-belt-part around the back of it).
Posted via Mobile Device

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Maxi Cosi makes seats for the U.S. and European market (and possibly specific ones for other markets, too), and they likely have different rules. European seats are probably fine to use without locking the belt. American seats (even if they allow European routing) often do require locking. Do you know what version of the seat you have?

I'm also going to move this post to our International forum because you might get some better answers there.

U

Unregistered

Maxi Cosi makes seats for the U.S. and European market (and possibly specific ones for other markets, too), and they likely have different rules. European seats are probably fine to use without locking the belt. American seats (even if they allow European routing) often do require locking. Do you know what version of the seat you have?

I'm also going to move this post to our International forum because you might get some better answers there.
I don't know which version they sell in Singapore, sorry. Thanks for refiling it!
Posted via Mobile Device

1mommy

At the risk of sounding snooty (not my intention I promise)... have you read the manual? If the manual allows either of them, I would go for the one you feel you will get the quickest and safest install.

U

Unregistered

At the risk of sounding snooty (not my intention I promise)... have you read the manual? If the manual allows either of them, I would go for the one you feel you will get the quickest and safest install.
I've 'read' the manual, but it's 100% pictures. It shows the European belt path, but the last pictorial step is to push the seat belt back into the retractor which makes me think it's showing the instructions for an ALR seat belt. I need to install it in taxis with ELR-only seat belts... Thanks for your help :)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Can you check the stickers on the seat to see if they mention the seat meeting federal standards (US) or whatever they have for the EU? Is there a number you can call to reach Maxi Cosi?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I've 'read' the manual, but it's 100% pictures. It shows the European belt path, but the last pictorial step is to push the seat belt back into the retractor which makes me think it's showing the instructions for an ALR seat belt. I need to install it in taxis with ELR-only seat belts... Thanks for your help :)

If the manual is pictures with minimal/ no text, it sounds like it's European. If it doesn't show a locking clip, and doesn't show American belt path, I wouldn't use either.

Most cars in Europe don't have locking belts.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, I wonder if the photo of pushing the belt back into the retractor is just intended to show that you're supposed to get rid of slack, not necessarily lock the belt. That would be consistent with European seats.

_juune

The manual sounds like that of a Euro seat. Is there an orange rectangle with some text and R44/04 or R44/03 anywhere on the shell? In that case it's Euro seat and the American belt routing may not be used.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC