Question Is 60K miles too many for a 2012 Odyssey?

Persimmon

We are looking at a 2012 Odyssey EXL with 60K miles to replace DH's 2005 Mazda MPV. We will probably only use something this big for another 4 years and then trade it in for something like an Outback. Really we don't absolutely need a van, but DH likes minivans, DS1 and 2 are going to college relatively close by, and it has center 2nd row LATCH for DS4 :drool:. We are looking at Honda vs. USAA's (Assurant) extended warranty plans. Assurant only goes for 3 more years though. It is at our mechanic now getting checked out.

So is it a bad idea to get something with so many miles? The Honda dealership bought it at auction from another Honda dealership in town. It has one owner that lived in a bedroom community about 35 miles outside of our city who traded it in from the dealership they bought it from. So, I am thinking a lot of highway miles to and from work. They want $25,500 out the door price but we are going to see if we can get them down some. I am not crazy about the poor results on the overlap test but it would be way better than what DH has now.

ETA: Our mechanic said it looks great! Just needs a few cabin air filters. I just noticed the other extended warranty isn't through Honda. I got the flyer from the Honda salesman. It is through CNA National.

Last edited:
ADS

jgomez411

DHs 2012 Civic has 65000 miles and we have sunk $1000 into it in the past month and we're still having issues! I'm sure you won't have those issues with the Ody but omg I'm ready to get rid of the stupid car! DD said we should just drop it at the Honda dealership and get a slide door car (what she calls a van) instead 😂

Mags462

For me that is not a lot of miles... We bought our sienna at 4yr old (2005 which we bought used in 2009) with 76k miles or so on it but knew the history and that it was a mechanically sound van... Plus we got a killer deal on it Bc it had been sitting on the lot for about 2 months. I still love it and and at 130k never had to do anything to it but regular maintenance.

I don't know a ton about Hondas but generally speaking I gave zero issues with high mileage Japanese imports.

If anything would give me pause it would be the price. Idk that just seems high to me but then again I haven't van shopped in a while :0) good luck!

jjordan

It doesn't sound like a lot of miles to me either, especially considering you expect to drive it only 4 years. I do agree that the price seems steep for a 3-ish year old van with 60k miles, but like Maggie, I haven't shopped for Odysseys lately so maybe the price is right on point. :)

Persimmon

Thanks for the replies. They are not wanting to go down on the price but we are still holding out. We did get them to agree to do some additional maintenance like clean the fuel system and change the transmission fluid. They had already done some repairs. If they agree to go down another $1K, DH wants to get it. It has all his wants--backup camera, moonroof, leather seats, top choice ext and int colors so he is willing to pay more to be done with it. It hasn't been on the lot long so I am not sure how motivated they are to sell it immediately though.

DHs 2012 Civic has 65000 miles and we have sunk $1000 into it in the past month and we're still having issues! I'm sure you won't have those issues with the Ody but omg I'm ready to get rid of the stupid car! DD said we should just drop it at the Honda dealership and get a slide door car (what she calls a van) instead 😂

Bah! :( What rotten luck. That is exactly what I am afraid of. DS4 loves the sliders and moon roof a little too much. Hopefully the novelty would wear off quickly.

2BunniesMommy

I would go for it for sure. We have a 2010 Honda Insight, and while it is a 2010, the DOM is 3/09 and it was sold and on the road within a month of that time. We bought it at the end of 2012 with it nearing 80,000 miles. Went with an extended warranty to be on the safe side since it is a hybrid and lots of miles. So far we have not had to do anything beyond regular maintainance and we are a bit over 114,000 miles now. It still feels like a new car for the most part in how it drives.

jwilliams

Lol, I just realized that while I think that's a lot of miles, my mom's 2012 Odyssey (which she bought in 10/2011) has that many miles, and it's absolutely fine. And they've been up-and-down a mountain miles for the most part :)

I would just want to know that the van was given all routine maintenance per Honda guidelines.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
For me, the mileage is too high. Yes, it's a Honda and they run well and last a long time and hold their value, but when we've looked at used cars, we haven't looked at anything with more than 25-30,000 miles. We just like it to be as new as possible.

Our 2010 Odyssey has 71,000 miles and it's doing fine, but *I* want to be the one putting the miles on the vehicle. That's just me though.

SavsMom

It's a little above average but not bad. If your mechanic says it's good and the price is right, I say go for it.

Persimmon

Thanks again for the replies. We got the van! They went down $750 on the price and DH's old van starting shuddering badly again while idling--so badly I though it was going to stall on the way over to the dealership. DH decided it was not worth the hassle and cost of getting it fixed since the last time the mechanic said it would be an expensive repair if it started to do it again. The old owner had all the maintenance done at the dealership they got it from so we thought it was a good bet. We figured it was going to be hard to find another Odyssey that was so well taken care of (both inside and out) quickly. I swear there were never any children or pets that rode in it. There is not a scratch or stain except in the rear storage well. DH decided to get the extended warranty just in case, even though I wasn't sold on it. They gave us a very fair price on the trade in so that covered the cost of the warranty. I am relieved to be done with it. I really wanted to get everyone into a safer vehicle and get DS4 away from OB with no side airbags in a vehicle with poor side impact ratings.

For me, the mileage is too high. Yes, it's a Honda and they run well and last a long time and hold their value, but when we've looked at used cars, we haven't looked at anything with more than 25-30,000 miles. We just like it to be as new as possible.

Our 2010 Odyssey has 71,000 miles and it's doing fine, but *I* want to be the one putting the miles on the vehicle. That's just me though.

If we planned on keeping it longer than 4-5 years, we probably would have gone for a lower mileage vehicle. We were trying to find the sweet spot of a newish van that had enough miles to get the price down, but not enough to run into a bunch of costly repairs before we were ready to downsize to a smaller vehicle. Honestly, the old owner took better care of it than DH would have. He is terrible about getting the oil changed on time. We don't get our repairs done at the dealer and they were very punctual about the oil changes/service.

It's a little above average but not bad. If your mechanic says it's good and the price is right, I say go for it.

I was hoping you would answer. Alas, the new Outback I was lusting for will have to wait until more DS's are farther away from home. If only Subaru had released their 7 seater already. :mad: We definitely decided on the rectified edge, color body tile like you have though.

2BunniesMommy

I hope you love it and I think you will. Was just looking for this thread because I realized I actually have more miles on my car than I thought. Was thinking it had just passed the 114,000 mark, but nope, it did that almost 800 miles ago. I think you will easily get the 4-5 years you want to with the van without any problems. You might even love it so much you want to keep it longer!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC