Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Spica cast help

Carseat Crazy

Spica cast help

I have a friend whose 22 month old broke his femur and is in a spica cast. It has the bar connecting the two legs and is 1 1/2 legs. They couldn't get him in his car seat for the drive home from the hospital and ended up just holding him. Do you have any recommendations? The hospital did not offer any solutions.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Re: Spica cast help

When Levi broke his femur last year our hospital was also totally unhelpful. I used the safe kids website to find a special needs tech in my state. I called around and found one that had a Britax Hippo that was willing to loan it to me and she actually drove hours from her home town to bring it to me at my house and fit Levi in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Car-Seat.org Ambassador Patriot201's Avatar

Depending on how the cast is set, he **might** also fit in a Radian (if a Hippo seat cannot be located).

“Nearly all the best things that came to me in life have been unexpected, unplanned by me.” ~Carl Sandburg
    Learning to cope with the unexpected...

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

What seats do they have available to them?
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Carseat Crazy
    She has a radian, maybe she will be able to make it work. They were traveling when it happened so they are not home, but in a different state.

Moderator - CPS Technician safeinthecar's Avatar

The Radian will work well shape-wise, but keep in mind that no seat will fit him sitting flush with the shell and that's OK. Pad the gaps and the edge of the cast at his back so he's supported enough not to get pressure sores or rub burns.

The failing of the Radian for casted kids is that the harness may not be long enough. It takes up a ton of extra harness across the thighs to get around the cast. If the child+cast weighs little enough to use the safe stop, you have a much better chance of it working.

If they need to buy a seat, I have the most success with the Triumph and casts. The Foonf has the longest harness of any seat according to a thread where I requested people measure, followed by the Complete Air and the Nextfit.
    Kimberly
    Proud mommy of Becky 18! Danny 15 Hope 12~Auntie to William-14, David-10, and Logan 2~

Carseat Crazy
    She was able to get him buckled into the Radian for the drive home. I'm not sure how well padded they have him but I'll mention it to her. Hopefully this will work well enough to get him through his time in the cast.

CPS Fanatic

Diono also sells a longer harness, if that helps at all. (Or they at least did. I can't find it on the website right now, but that probably means that it's out of stock.)